Big Fat Pecan Cookie Jar

Dave Hoskins

Finished this up late this morning. Gots to admit I do like it. The wood was sealed with my usual walnut oil and then finished with several coats of walnut oil/shellac mixed. The outside diameter is 10 1/4" with the inside lip at 7". The total height is 5 3/4" with the vessel depth of 3 1/2". You can state the volume in two ways: 3/4 gallon of water which it held fine, or almost 2 regular packages of Oreo Cookies. Or, you might figger a boat load of M&M's. I burned some lines on the inside of the lid for decorative purposes as well as on the topside of it. Lots of spalting in it as this is I think the last of my "swamp pecan". Might have some cut offs that I can do something small with, not sure. There is a tad bit more meat on the sides getting near the bottom than I would have liked, but it just wasn't cooperating with me. My hollowing tool was shaking the beejeevers out of me no matter the angle or sharpness so I got to the point of where I said what it is it is. Period. Still holds a lot of stuff. Hopes you all likes it. :D

That is very nice. Lots of m&ms there. That pecan has nice grain. This cookie jar matches the bowls you turned.
You are quite the spinner. Does that relate to tales also??
David

Thanks, guys! If you're gonna turn one, it might as well be big and fat, right? Reminds me of my losing of the battle of the bulge! David, I try not to spin too tall of tales! Well, maybe. :rofl:

That's a good looking cookie jar! Nice shape and just the right size. You might have gotten a bonus on stability leaving the bottom a bit thick so just call it a feature ;)

Ryan, I just can't help myself. I like heavy bottoms on my bowls and such. It's a habit that's hard for me to break. It might go back to when I first started turning and made some great funnels by going through the bottom of a couple of bowls or so. So, I got in the habit of leaving more meat in the base. A turning buddy of mine in the UK told me I was being smart. Anyway, seems all my pieces are a little heavy in the base. But, it sure ain't gonna tip over! :D

Dave,
I do the same thing with my bowls... I like to leave the walls a little thicker and a nice solid bottom. Bill Grumbaugh (not sure of spelling) said on one of his web sites... turn a bowl a thin as you can, get it out of your system, then turn practical bowls... I see yours as practical as well as beautiful... :thumb:

BTW, that cookie jar would have looked better if it was filled with Pecan Sandies.... I'm not an Oreos fan... my favorites are the Sandies.
I do a lot of lidded boxes, haven't thought about a cookie jar... now you've gone and added to my to-do list. :(

:D:D:D

OK, guys. You win. :rofl: Next cookie jar will have photos taken with Pecan Sandies. They are good. The only reason I went with the Oreos was two different colors for contrast. But, I stand humbled and will use Sandies next time. Uh, if I remember. :eek:

Looks great, Dave. :thumb:

Pecan sandies would be fitting of a pecan cookie bowl, and Oreos are tasty, but oatmeal raisin cookies are the ones with the shortest lifespan in our house. :D

I guess the real solution there is to fill it with a rotating series of different cookies and see which one works best. Of course it would be a shame if the test subjects were let go to waste so...

The only "test" subjects that would go to waste with this "alleged" Cookie Monster is if they have coconut on them. That stupid stuff makes me itch. Hate it. Despise it. Find it to be a perfect target for napalm, worms, bugs and anything else that will kill it. :eek:

That's a good looking cookie jar! Nice shape and just the right size. You might have gotten a bonus on stability leaving the bottom a bit thick so just call it a feature ;)

Yeah!!! That's the answer to my problem with Rene's entry hall bench. I said I could not use it because my skinny butt would fall through the slots. I guess my butt just needs a new feature.

Enjoy,
JimB