End grain cutting board patterns

Mike Tate

Does anyone know of a source for buying dimensioned end grain cutting board patterns that will work with a 12 1/2 in. planer?
Thank for any help.

Does anyone know of a source for buying dimensioned end grain cutting board patterns that will work with a 12 1/2 in. planer?
Thank for any help.

Not quite sure what you mean...Dimensioned patterns? Do you mean just drawings, or what?

Also, end grain doesn't usually fare well going through a planer - lots of tear-out, etc. A drum sander is what usually gets used for smoothing/finishing.

Jim, thanks for your response. By dimensioned, I mean the size of each piece in the original glue up. It is after that point I use my 12 1/2 planer. I know strips can be any length, but the combined width can't exceed 12 1/2 inches. After passing the glued assembly through the planer for each side, I then cross cut pieces usually 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 and re-glue with the end grains up. I then use belt and orbital sanders. I have been asked to make cutting boards for our church bazaar. I have found beautiful pictures on line, but am looking for the easy way.

Thank you again. I am an old geezer and appreciate any suggestions from anyone to help me communicate better.

I use the cbdesigner a lot in making boards but I also like to " free form" boards. Just make the glue ups flow and combine as a whim. Amazing the patterns that evolve. Also ang!e cutting gives neat patterns.
MTM wood does some beautiful work. Really has the equipment to produce gorgeous boards. My results don't compare.
David