Facebook Woodworking Group

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Many of you probably already know about the Facebook group: "Bill Grumbine's Woodworking." Several folks here have been regular posters to it. Bill has decided not to continue administrating the group - due to changing priorities, etc. He'll continue posting to it, and still has an avid interest in nearly all things woodworking (with a special interest in turning).

Rather than see the group disappear, I've volunteered to keep it running.

The name of the group is "Woodworking With Jim (formerly Bill Grumbine's Woodworking)." In a month or so, it'll become just "Woodworking With Jim."

Anyone here that's interested will be more than welcome to join. Take a look if you're interested.

Glad to see you're keeping it going, Jim. :thumb: Now that Bill has his new girlfriend Annie, he's been busy with other stuff. :D

Hi Rob, May I ask why? Sounds to me like "Fear of the Unknown!"

Some of your best friends are there!
Mack its anything but fear of unknown, lol

Mack i joined this forum and have stuck with it for all the years because

1 its non commercial. The day it starts taking advertising i am done. ......facebook is a listed for gain enterprise. When they pay me i will help them make money off me.

2 its member run same point as point 1 but also member moderated.

3 its got a code of conduct where the political etc discourse of the day does not appear in my face for my jnterests.

4 a member here is not anonymous hence we have a situation where we have come to meet and know each other and thereby in my view treat each other with civility.

5 i am not looking to be popular with my friends friends friends and their network. I don't want to be approached by all and sundry wanting to be my friend. The word "friend " means something to me. I will do almost anything for a friend, its kinda like unconditional love.
When my friend feels pain, i share it. I am not a social butterfly not looking to be a celebrity.

6 i don't want a robot taking my info and suggesting to people i don't know that i may know so and so because we have the same friends. So i don't need a robot to help me make more friends.

I can go on and on...YES i value my freedom, and i value my friends. I certainly am a difficult curmudgeon with my attitude but i left a country with a big brother that controlled my life to come to a place where i have freedom.

This site fits with my values. I trust the people i have met here. The advice i have obtained here has been priceless.
I value knowing the people here some i have never met but have a good rapport with. Those i have met i am proud to call friends. They mean more to me than my own siblings.

So i have ZERO need for facebook. Sorry but hope that explains a bit of my attitude.

I understand your sentiments, Rob. I use Facebook for several things, primarily promoting our band, connecting with long-lost friends and students, and entertainment. At least for now, those things outweigh the downsides, which are indeed very real. I get saddened by the political vitriol that's so abundant there, but have learned - for the most part - to scroll right past it. I do find it interesting that some of the people who I consider close friends in the real world hold very differing opinions about some things than I do. But only in rare cases does that discovery affect my trust or affinity towards those people.

Mack its anything but fear of unknown, lol

Mack i joined this forum and have stuck with it for all the years because

1 its non commercial. The day it starts taking advertising i am done. ......facebook is a listed for gain enterprise. When they pay me i will help them make money off me.

2 its member run same point as point 1 but also member moderated.

3 its got a code of conduct where the political etc discourse of the day does not appear in my face for my jnterests.

4 a member here is not anonymous hence we have a situation where we have come to meet and know each other and thereby in my view treat each other with civility.

5 i am not looking to be popular with my friends friends friends and their network. I don't want to be approached by all and sundry wanting to be my friend. The word "friend " means something to me. I will do almost anything for a friend, its kinda like unconditional love.
When my friend feels pain, i share it. I am not a social butterfly not looking to be a celebrity.

6 i don't want a robot taking my info and suggesting to people i don't know that i may know so and so because we have the same friends. So i don't need a robot to help me make more friends.

I can go on and on...YES i value my freedom, and i value my friends. I certainly am a difficult curmudgeon with my attitude but i left a country with a big brother that controlled my life to come to a place where i have freedom.

This site fits with my values. I trust the people i have met here. The advice i have obtained here has been priceless.
I value knowing the people here some i have never met but have a good rapport with. Those i have met i am proud to call friends. They mean more to me than my own siblings.

So i have ZERO need for facebook. Sorry but hope that explains a bit of my attitude.

Thanks Rob, I understand your position, although I don't agree with it!

Hi Jim, Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'll see you you on that site!

I am not a fan of facebook either. My rationale is different than Rob's, though I can see Rob's point of view. I just don't need that social media. I have plenty here and on a few other forums.

In the future I may become more active on facebook, but it will me more to exhibit and sell than for the social gathering. Personally, I am not really all that social, I don't care to sit around and chit chat all that much.

JIM - GOOD for you - I believe you will be a GREAT administrator. I have not heard anything about Bill Grumbine in years. He was a forum member on Woodworking.Com which is not no longer in existence. Also, I am not much on those spinny thingies, unless it is a CNC rotary axis.