It Is Friday One More Time!

Dave Hoskins

I have to get out there and do some mowing before the next batch of storms move in tonight. So after I have enough coffee where I can stand myself, I'm going to get it done. Then who knows what will happen after that. Not sure how much work I'll get done in the shop with the storms running around here. I'm sure I'll get something done. I'm mainly turning smalls to use up some cut offs from other projects. Can't believe I am saying this but we have had enough rain that it is keeping me from getting to the two cottonwood trees that are waiting for me to take down. They are in a low lying area where a stock tank runs off into a creek. Oh, well. :eek:

Ten yards of mulch delivered yesterday afternoon. Weather permitting (Raining cats & dogs right now), I'll be spreading that around the planting beds and tree bases.

I haven't been in the shop all week - laziness, lethargy, whatever...

Cooling off so get out of the A/C. Not as hot as further west. Wow!!!. Starting on a 24x32" cutting board,. black walnut/maple. Should go pretty quick. Customer was thinking 2" but settled on 1 1/2". Weight may have been a factor. Mowing down so not any other chores to look for.
All have a good safe weekend.

David

Staging for the move next week end. Wishing it was to the new house, but still no plans. Just to a much larger space where I can bring my cargo trailers and sort things out.

Jarrod and I are picking up a 7 month old Black Lab Saturday morning. He will be a companion for Johnny he still mopping around with Jack. I'll post some picks of the new addition.

Stepson moving to his own apartment tomorrow - guess who has the only pickup in the friend/family circle. So, I'll be busy moving furniture and personal belongings most of the day.

Several shop projects in the works. Building a small arbor for over the front door and building a clock for my brother. He purchased a Klockit schoolhouse regulator with a mechanical movement about 30 years ago and did a not so great job of gluing up the carcass. The wood included in the kit was not so great either. Walnut - and for a 3 3/4" side they used a glued up panel - really? - the could not find a board 4" wide? :huh: Long story short, I decided it would be easier to build a new carcass than to try and save the old one. I got some fine Michigan chocolate from Tom (thank you!) more to come...

Shop time this morning - putting the final finish coat on my daughter diploma frame - straightening up a bit.

Saturday should be shop time starting to build the router assembly for my walnut slab - sure need to make progress on that but other things have gotten in the way!

Sunday, I'll prepare brunch as usual, then chill out until the race starts.

Mostly working around the house this weekend, may get the grandson to help me with some painting of some trim, or at least watch him ride his trike around the driveway while I do some of it. May get some time in on the plane till. Other than that, pool time.

Lou is gone to her family reunion. CJ and I are batching it here on the farm! Working his 4H calf (walking and more walking). He cut out his 4H wood project today and we have it glued up and clamped. He is making a flower box. Nail it later today and paint tomorrow as we are going to the drive in (the drive thru as CJ keeps calling it!) tonight to watch CARS 3. Tess, Eric, Audrey are going with us. Good times!

Installing patio lights I found at Costco....four color dim-able LED's, chain link top rail set in concrete for posts. Should be a one day job, but prolly take me a week.

Started the weekend playing a show Friday evening in beautiful Angel Fire, NM, a ski resort about 3 hours north of here. We were tonight's act for their Cool Summer Nights concert series, where they have free concerts in the park every weekend in the summer. We had a good crowd and a fun time, despite cool temps and breezy conditions. I didn't stick around after the show, but the rest of the band and their girlfriends/wives are spending the night at Angel Fire. Part of our pay when we play in Angel Fire is in lodging and activities. When we play there in the winter, we get rooms and ski lift tickets in addition to money. This summer they have a new zip line attraction, so they comped us four all-day zip line passes for Saturday. (They sell for $100 each to the public.) They also set us up with half-price passes for spouses. My wife was unable to go up with me, so I decided to come on home instead of sticking around and let one of the girlfriends use my pass.

Saturday and Sunday I have a variety of yard and house stuff to do, including moving and storing a nice pile of ash turning blanks I cut up last weekend. Also need to re-do the water line on the swamp cooler at my niece's condo. I need to get as much physical stuff done as I can, because Monday I'm having surgery done on my right hand to fix some tendon issues. (Google Dupetryn's contracture if you're interested.) The doc says I'll be playing guitar in a week or two, but in the meantime I'm going to be known as "Lefty" for a little while.