Thread: 2017 bedroom mirror

2017 bedroom mirror

as nice as the original idea was, it got a bit over complicated. so, i came up with an idea that was less so, but a bit more interesting. i set aside the proper sized boards, and made all of the preliminary cuts, and did a test layout. the fun thing about this, is that the top board will be full thickness, the 2 side boards will be about 1/8" thinner, with the bottom board being about 1/8" thinner than the sides. now, it is all over but the planing, assembling, routing the rabbet for the mirror, and finishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 parts ready for finish cutting.jpg   002 parts finish cut and edge sanded.jpg   003 first test layout.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

That's an interesting design. I like it.
    David

Nice design, Dan! The reveals will add a lot of interest!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

got everything planed to thicknesses, and glued it up. next to be done, is the routing of the rabbet, sanding and finishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004 parts ready to assemble.jpg   005 parts assembled.jpg   006 ready for routing sanding and finishing.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

getting myself moving on this one again. routed the rabbet for the mirror, and fitted the mirror to the frame. oddly enough, it fit. next to be done, is the finish sanding, dying to match the bed, coats of shellac, and fitting the turn buttons and mounting hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 007 mirror rabbet routed.jpg   008 mirror fitted.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

sanded, dyed, and hit it with a couple of good coats of shellac today. still have to add the turn buttons to hold the mirror in place, and the mounting hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009 frame sanded.jpg   010 frame dyed.jpg   011 frame with shellac.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Nice, I like the color.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

today i found that i had accidentally skipped a couple of steps in my finishing. should have been sanding, dying the wood, sealing with seal coat, a coat of walnut gel stain, then shellac. i found that i had skipped the seal coat and gel stain. as the shellac sealed the dyed wood, i gave it a good sanding by hand, and added the gel stain. tomorrow will be the coats of shellac. the pic is how it looked after i sanded it, and wiped it down with a tack cloth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 012 frame before sanding.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

thought i was home free with this one. got the last 2 coats of shellac on it, and a bit later i noticed a bit of a sparkle. turns out, due to the heat, and sunshine, it heated up the wood, and started out gassing, causing little bitty bubbles to form. now, its one more light sanding to get rid of the bubbles, and a light final coat of shellac.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 013 almost final shellac coat.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

sanded all of the bubbles out, and applied what will hopefully be the last coat of shellac. it is curing in a nice, dark place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 014 hopefully the last coat of shellac.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene