2017 bedroom mirror

Dan Noren

Staff member
as nice as the original idea was, it got a bit over complicated. so, i came up with an idea that was less so, but a bit more interesting. i set aside the proper sized boards, and made all of the preliminary cuts, and did a test layout. the fun thing about this, is that the top board will be full thickness, the 2 side boards will be about 1/8" thinner, with the bottom board being about 1/8" thinner than the sides. now, it is all over but the planing, assembling, routing the rabbet for the mirror, and finishing.

Attachments

• 001 parts ready for finish cutting.jpg
    001 parts ready for finish cutting.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 002 parts finish cut and edge sanded.jpg
    002 parts finish cut and edge sanded.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 23
  • 003 first test layout.jpg
    003 first test layout.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 30
got everything planed to thicknesses, and glued it up. next to be done, is the routing of the rabbet, sanding and finishing.

Attachments

• 004 parts ready to assemble.jpg
    004 parts ready to assemble.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 005 parts assembled.jpg
    005 parts assembled.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 006 ready for routing sanding and finishing.jpg
    006 ready for routing sanding and finishing.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 21
getting myself moving on this one again. routed the rabbet for the mirror, and fitted the mirror to the frame. oddly enough, it fit. next to be done, is the finish sanding, dying to match the bed, coats of shellac, and fitting the turn buttons and mounting hardware.

Attachments

• 007 mirror rabbet routed.jpg
    007 mirror rabbet routed.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 008 mirror fitted.jpg
    008 mirror fitted.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
sanded, dyed, and hit it with a couple of good coats of shellac today. still have to add the turn buttons to hold the mirror in place, and the mounting hardware.

Attachments

• 011 frame with shellac.jpg
    011 frame with shellac.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 010 frame dyed.jpg
    010 frame dyed.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 009 frame sanded.jpg
    009 frame sanded.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 15
today i found that i had accidentally skipped a couple of steps in my finishing. should have been sanding, dying the wood, sealing with seal coat, a coat of walnut gel stain, then shellac. i found that i had skipped the seal coat and gel stain. as the shellac sealed the dyed wood, i gave it a good sanding by hand, and added the gel stain. tomorrow will be the coats of shellac. the pic is how it looked after i sanded it, and wiped it down with a tack cloth.

Attachments

• 012 frame before sanding.jpg
    012 frame before sanding.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 9
thought i was home free with this one. got the last 2 coats of shellac on it, and a bit later i noticed a bit of a sparkle. turns out, due to the heat, and sunshine, it heated up the wood, and started out gassing, causing little bitty bubbles to form. now, its one more light sanding to get rid of the bubbles, and a light final coat of shellac.

Attachments

• 013 almost final shellac coat.jpg
    013 almost final shellac coat.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4
sanded all of the bubbles out, and applied what will hopefully be the last coat of shellac. it is curing in a nice, dark place.

Attachments

• 014 hopefully the last coat of shellac.jpg
    014 hopefully the last coat of shellac.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 6