Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Idea -- What do you think?

DC Idea -- What do you think?

I know that 2 of the big concerns with DC is the filters - not catching fine dust and not having enough surface area to be effieceint.

So I was thinking, what if we just remove the filter? Well more specifically, what about connecting a trash can separator on the out put side of the blower to catch the big stuff, and then vent the remainder of the dust to the outside?

This idea is mostly for low volume home shops. It won't work if you generate mountains of dust.

What do you think?
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

shawn thats what i plan to do, and have it drop into a trailer to haul off. yeah i will loose some heat but after i get the shop and going it wil be so full of hot air i can afford to loose alittel
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Steve Clardy Guest
    Like this.........................

Attachment 8739Attachment 8740
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 08-06-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Like this.........................

Attachment 8739Attachment 8740
    hey ive seen that setup somewhere sorry for the spellun "sean"

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Larry,

Thats ok, It happens all the time

How much heat do you think i would loose from my basement, in the winter? I would put a blast gate in the line going outside, to keep any critters from moving in. When not in use, would the closed bast gate make much of a difference, heat wise?

My basement tends to be colder, and the previous owners put insulation up between the floor joists, to keep the first floor a bit warmer.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

it would depend on how much it was runnin and how much air it sucks,, in my case i was running a 2hp and sometimes for a hour or more and could notice the decrese in heat but it didnt take long to recover..was pullun it out of a 4 inch pipe and pushun it threw a 8"

Sean, I use a two bag DC (top & bottom bags) and although they are a PITA (especially yesterday when I noticed that I had gone too long and let the top bag get 1/4 full as well. Another mess and story) Anyway back on track...
    I had considered exhusting the dusty air outside of my Basement shop as you discribe but began to consider....

Winter time, You will be blowing ??? cubic feet per minute of your already paid for warmed air out into the cold creating a draft that will pull natures cold air through every crevice in your home. If you have gas heat, or water heater, it will pull the fumes back down the flue, because nature will try to keep air pressure equal both inside & outside your happy home. So The heating bills will climb but you won't have to worry as you will all be dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

In the Summer the same will hold true as your icy AC air will be exhausted and nature will replace the air sneaking in every open pore, with Summer's heated air causing the AC to continuously run consuming all your hard earned money saved by shortcuting the DC problem.

Spring and Fall will be OK as the house needs some fresh air from the smell of rotting bodies consumed by Carbon Monixide back in the winter while you were working in your shop.

Best solution is to do as you suggest, sucking through a seperator and blowing through a filter bag, or spend some bucks and get a pleated filter (my next DC purchase)

Now, If your shop is in a barn and heat or AC is no concern then by all means shoot that suff to the next county, if you will...

I remember back in the day when I was teaching in a school shop... Winter was harsh and the old school had big drafty old metal windows, I would have the students work w/o the DC on and sweep up their mess by hand. (not doing any Planer activities on those cold days) Every time we would get the shops warm and cozy, some idiot would flip on the DC and suck all the pleasure out and the cold winter's chill in through those big old windows. Would take all the next class to warm the place back up.

If you do this make sure your shop is closed off from the rest of the basement. I have treid this and did not lose enough heat to worry about. For the end of the pipe, just place a flap that will open by the pressure and close when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    If you do this make sure your shop is closed off from the rest of the basement. I have treid this and did not lose enough heat to worry about. For the end of the pipe, just place a flap that will open by the pressure and close when not in use.
    Take a look at the number of Cubic Feet of Air the DC moves per minute, That is the amount of air you will be exhausting from your home (doors closed or not) Nature will not allow you to maintain a lower than "Normal" airpressure w/o replacing the air. The biggest concern is not really that you will freeze... The concern is with Gas Water heaters and Gas furnaces, (or oil) will that loss of pressure w/in your house prevent the flue from drawing properly, The result is CO gases filling the void left by the DC. If you use a fireplace or wood stove, the same effect will happen and the smoke will not draw properly. Although this is only while you are using the DC. It is a concern and problem to address. As for minimum heat loss, the loss is there and the returning air is not heated and the furnace must opperate more frequently because of the loss. Although it may not be noticably uncomfortable at the time, it may be more uncomfortable when the utility bill comes.

What I am saying is that these are major concerns when you exhaust air from your home. The DC runs longer and more powerfully than a simple bathroom exhaust or range hood. These things are known to waste energy in winter conditions but we still use them because their usefullness & need overshadow their expense. The DC is a mighty sucker and moves a lot of air and the effect can/will be felt not just at the business end but in the long run. In my earlier post I jested about dead bodies from CO poisoning, but It has been found that even a bathroom fan (in a tight house) can suck CO back down a water heater vent. Not enough to drop dead the occupants but prolonged exposure to CO has ill effects and in the winter when kids are cooped up indoors and depending on how often you use your DC (I do mine daily and long sessions) it can create a hazardous condition.

This is something you need to consider when deciding to go this direction or to opt for other air filtering systems. I know the dust abounds (as SWMBO reminds me almost daily) what seems like a simple solution of blowing it outside won't relieve all the problems, and may create more. I think I would be more concerned with the health of that little assistant you have pictured than the little extra dust.
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 05-17-2007 at 09:50 PM.