Some examples of what I do

Well, I'm really enjoying getting to know you guys on this excellent forum and now that you've seen my shop, it's about time I proved I actually do some work there!

I got into cabinetmaking from owning a pine furniture store for many years and starting to make the specials and custom pieces that I couldn't source from my usual suppliers. Pieces like these:

McCrohanWardrobes.jpg

MellishDreser.jpg

BigWardrobe.jpg

QuadRobe.jpg

BellDresser.jpg

A few years ago, however, the trade in pine took a real nosedive and so I ditched the store (and a lot of overhead) and moved into my present shop. I still work with pine but have got more and more into hardwoods and painted MDF kitchens. Here are a few recent efforts:

oakmirroredwardrobes.jpg

This was quite a challenge for my first project in oak. It's a bit harder than pine, isn't it?!

MannionDresser.jpg

A lot of my work is now painted kitchen furniture like this dresser in poplar and maple.

Bookcase1.jpg

An early oak project was this 12' run of glazed bookcases

Img_0381.jpg

Img_0383.jpg

This maple kitchen is a particular favourite of mine

Well, that's the kind of thing I do. Please be gentle with me!

Cheers
Brad

Last edited:
Brad,

All that stuff looks great but the first and fourth pics really got my attention. I have knotty pione in a bedroom at the house and your 'over the bed' deal looks really cool.

Lets see :huh: ..... I saw a bed so you Sleep, I saw Wine holders so you drink, I saw Books so you read, and I saw a kitchen so you eat.

Thats it, Same as me :D ... Eat, Sleep, Drink, & Read. Looks pretty good to me.... :thumb:

Seriously, I are impressed with such great cabinetry...

That's some great-looking work, Brad. I'd say you've been doing this stuff for a while. ;)

Be gentle...like there was anything to criticize. :rofl:

that is some fine pine work

and the hardwood pieces are great too:thumb: you do some amazing work. thanks for sharing with us..and as vaughn said there aint no critiquein just praisun:thumb:

Hi Brad,
Your photos show a very nice range of projects, all seem to be very nicely done. Are they sold in kits?:rofl: :rofl: They are very pretty and offer many options for situations that occur in homes world wide . Thank you, Good work!:thumb:
Shaz

Thanks for the kind words guys - my customers normally like what I do and my wife is easily impressed,;) but I get a little nervous offering it up for scrutiny by experts...

What kind of finishes did you use on the pine and maple?

I normally use an acid-catylist lacquer on hardwoods, and wax on pine. If the customer wants a lacquered finish on pine I use a pre-catylised lacquer as it is a little softer and will move with the dents rather than cracking.

Vaughn said:
I'd say you've been doing this stuff for a while.
I studied woodwork at college - In fact I trained as a woodwork teacher - but I only started making stuff again five years ago after 20 years away. I guess Norm has to take the blame!

Al Killian said:
Hopefully the cabinet business will keep you busy.

It is certainly keeping me busy - all I've got to do now is figure out a way of making some money out of it! Any advice on that score would be gratefully received!

Cheers
Brad

Hey Brad, nice looking work you do! :wave:

You've got the perfect name for your trade too :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , I guess your parents knew where you were headed all along.

Keep up the good work :thumb:

Well John, I've got a small confession to make...

When I signed up for this forum I did what most people do on every other forum I've ever seen do - I used an alias.

It was only after I got started posting that I realised that everyone here used their real names. (or at least I think they do...)

Lovely as it would be if my parents had named me Brad Naylor, I'm afraid I made it up!

Cheers
Brad
(my friends call me Duncan)

Well John, I've got a small confession to make...

When I signed up for this forum I did what most people do on every other forum I've ever seen do - I used an alias.

It was only after I got started posting that I realised that everyone here used their real names. (or at least I think they do...)

Lovely as it would be if my parents had named me Brad Naylor, I'm afraid I made it up!

Cheers
Brad
(my friends call me Duncan)

busted!;) ........if you want to use your real name,(like we`re supposed to) shoot vaughn, greg or marty a p/m and they`ll change it for you.
welcome duncan

busted!;) ........if you want to use your real name,(like we`re supposed to) shoot vaughn, greg or marty a p/m and they`ll change it for you.
welcome duncan

I know that ignorance is no defence in law, but I've just checked the forum rules and sure enough, aliases are not allowed. I swear I didn't see that when I registered. There again, I probably didn't look very closely!

For the record, Brad's alter ego is Duncan Cheslett. You can find out more at my website www.thecabinetmakers.com

Cheers
Brad

Whoops! Sorry to blow yer cover :eek: there goes my career in intelligence!

Nice to meet you Duncan :wave:

Duncan,

Very nice work indeed. Can't help you with the make a living part, seems like your prices are very reasonable. Would the market bear higher prices?

Ken