One Step Closer

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
After two and a half years in our current house, I've still not gotten my shop set back up since I moved everything from California to New Mexico. The main roadblock has been space. We simply own too much stuff that we don't want to get rid of. As a result, our garage has been filled with stuff, and most of my big tools have been in offsite storage for two years.

We took a big step yesterday towards getting the garage cleared out...we bought an 8' x 10' Tuff Shed to store stuff in. We went with their top of the line model. Wishing we would have done this sooner, since we've spent nearly enough on offsite storage already to pay for a shed. Yes, I could have built one for a bit less money, but I don't have the time, energy, or quite frankly, strength, to do that kind of project anymore. It gets installed on July 22, and then we can begin moving stuff into it and start moving tools into the garage. Of course all this is happening during the hottest part of the year. :rolleyes: I'll still need to do a lot of space planning and some electrical work, but the electrical stuff will be relatively easy, since I already have a 200 amp service panel in the garage and a good friend who's an electrical contractor. (I've also abandoned the 240v electric range and dryer circuits, as well as a 50 amp service for a non-existent hot tub, so I've got plenty of spare amperage. I just need a pro to advise me on how to best re-route those circuits for the shop.) If all goes as planned, I should have the lathe spinning before the end of the year. (Hoping those are not famous last words, lol.) :D

So happy for you, Vaughn. I know how long the drought has been. I can certainly relate, and you will undoubtedly get gping before I can. But maybe we can both arrive at the finish line before the end of the year. Hope springs eternal.

I also relate to the "I don't have the strength anymore." Especially this past weekend! :)

Congratulations. I can't tell you how many 40' shipping containers I could have bought from offsite storage fees we've paid over the last 20 years. Have our first one (container) and am determined to get rid of the last three items in offsite before the end of the year.

Congratulations!! I suspected something was up when you started accepting bits of tree.:highfive::bliss:

Believe it or not, they weren't really related. Out here, fresh hardwood is hard enough to come by that I wasn't going to pass up the chance to snag some. Looks like I'll be getting a bit of sycamore next week from another friend who has a tree problem. :thumb:

Vaughn,
I also have an 8 x 10 Tuff Shed. It is a very good basic shed and I am very glad I purchased it.
Sharon, at one time I also had a shipping container. I was into throwing pots and other ceramic fun things at the time and the container was a blessing...especially since it cost $300 delivered and installed. Guess when that was; I'll give you a hint---I still had hair. I stored clay, chemicals, etc. in the container however the potter's wheel, pug mill, slab roller kind of stuff was in my studio.

I' m sure the two of you will be really, really glad you have the new additions.

Enjoy,
JimB

I am in total panic mode. I cannot find my appointment book (can't find my brain either). How can a person lose a 4 x 6 in appointment book in their house (with a very faint chance it is in the shop)? ESPs, clairvoyance, etc. are gladly accepted.

Last edited:
STUFF !!!

Thank you for reminding me about STUFF.

Diane and I have way too much STUFF.

It takes YEARS to acquire it, and it stays nicely congregated in piles, boxes, bags - and occupies SPACE.
We don't know what is in those containers, but we don't want to discard them either.

We have rooms in our house filled with stuff.
We actually could use those rooms for something useful.

Space, we could use!
STUFF, we don't use.
BUT - STUFF - WINS
WHY???

We don't need STUFF, but we do need SPACE.

STUFF - KILLS - Space.

Ohhh welll - these are the things I just don't understand.

ANYWAY - Congrats, on acquiring more space, so you can move the stuff, so you can have more "available" space, to do that which you like to do!

WHEW - I gotta go back to work now.

Congrats on taking the steps to clear out the garage.

BTW, I have been suffering from the same disease. I have accumulated a lot of junk and it is all sitting in the garage. This just might inspire me to clean my garage and finally start spinning wood.

Vaughn, with all that extra space you'll be able to start your own garage band. :thumb:...

Mama lets up rehearse in the house, so we're more of a living room band. :D (Although truth be told, we only rehearse a few times a year to work out a few new songs.)