Thread: Past and current projects

Past and current projects

Jim Delaney answered a question I asked about the best finish for a heart pine table and then asked that I show something I made. Well here goes. In the mid 1980s I made some sofas (two oak and two cherry - kept the cherry,
    sold the oak. I made the from a plan that if I remember correctly was in "Fine Woodworking". The original plan was for a sofa that would make into a bed. I did not think I had the skills to pull that off so I just made the sofas fixed. I am retired and should have a lot of time to build but it seems that is a pipe dream, but I do have some time and a friend of mine and I built a 20' kiln. One thing led to another and when I was waist deep in wood that I could not sell (sold some on the internet but not nearly enough so I decided to try to add value and build something. I have some spalted oak and pecan that I think is pretty so I decided to give the 1980s idea about furniture that makes into a bed another try, but mix in the spalted wood.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5908.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	99546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5909.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	99547

The first two are a full sized cherry sofa and a 2/3rd size I built 30+ years ago.

The next pictures are of the the spalted wood chair (ottoman to be built next, I already have the cushion made. I really like the variation in the wood.

Name:	IMG_5902.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	99548 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5903.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	99549

Makes every piece a one of a kind. I plan to make chairs with ottomans that make into single beds and if that works out make some sofas next (not sure what size bed to make it - suggestions welcome).

Name:	IMG_5904.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	99550 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5907.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	99551
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 07-04-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: double set of chair pictures

Wow! You made all that? I don't have the patience for furniture. Great work, now let's see that table, eh?
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln