Happy 4th, Southern Friends

Thanks all. We started on Saturday since we have some family in town, watched the city's show that night from our deck, which was one of our best shows yet. The company that does the display had a phone app this year, which you could download/install, then see the timing and hear the music for the display.

We've got a little rain coming through all day today, but still spending time with family most of it celebrating. Hope everyone else has a safe and enjoyable day! :wave:

Thanks to all of our northern neighbors! I got the smoker already going and the briskets are going. Have 12 coming this afternoon so it should be lots of fun. The smoker is going with pecan and mesquite. Oughta be good eating. Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe 4th!!!

No real party planned here today, so I don't even have any meat cooking plans. (I know, it's almost un-American!) I may try to throw a steak on the grill for dinner or something to somewhat redeem myself.

Attended a celebration yesterday evening, but it was mostly a "Let's Ruin the Carpet" party. Some good friends just bought a new (to them) house and are going to do some remodeling before they move in. Part of the remodel is to remove all the off-white carpet that's throughout the house. So last night they had a cookout by the pool, and guests were welcome to spill anything they wanted on the white carpet. One lady wrote her name in ketchup, lol. I think a few Jell-o shots might have been embedded, too.

The big party of the week will happen this coming Friday, when we will be celebrating at least three birthdays this week. We're playing a show at the local Rock & Brews (founded and partially owned by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of Kiss) and decided it was easier to have a party there than elsewhere.

Happy 4th July to all of our neighbors to the South. Hope you all have a great and peaceful time today.
Wish i was down south for the fireworks. Will make sure to watch celebrations on tv tonight.
Have a good one.

...Wish i was down south for the fireworks. Will make sure to watch celebrations on tv tonight.
Have a good one.

One thing on our agenda for the evening is staying at home and trying to keep the dog calm. He gets real nervous when there are loud noises happening. There will be idiots all over town shooting off illegal fireworks, including some very loud aerial bombs. A good friend of mine works for the city animal shelter, and July 5th is one of their busiest days for people coming in to look for their pets after they've run away.

I really enjoy fireworks, but just don't want them in the neighborhood. If people here would actually obey the law, that'd be great. ;)

Well, all the company is gone. No leftover brisket. Very little sausage left. Now the deer are eating as all the strange vehicles are gone. No ducks this evening. I'm in an unincorporated area so there are fireworks around. Both my poochies are rescued dogs. They hate fireworks and I don't like 'em either. That's me and I have my reasons. But, this afternoon was good company, good food, root beer, Dr.Pepper, and all them other hard drinks like tea and ice water. Can't go wrong with that!

We're winding our day down, too. The brisket was good with oven roasted cob corn and pasta salad. It wasn't a sunny day by any means but we got a break from several days of rain so I'm recovering on the deck with a local brew and a 2-hour cigar.

One thing on our agenda for the evening is staying at home and trying to keep the dog calm. He gets real nervous when there are loud noises happening. There will be idiots all over town shooting off illegal fireworks, including some very loud aerial bombs... I really enjoy fireworks, but just don't want them in the neighborhood. If people here would actually obey the law, that'd be great. ;)

We're doing the same. One dog isn't bothered by the noise, but the other on is really traumatized by any loud noise.

Right now, our neighborhood sounds like a war zone. Over half the folks in the area are ignoring the laws and setting off a lot of the high, loud stuff. I also have two hoses ready, just in case of 'short rounds' or falling embers.

Gotta say, all this 'firefight/artillery' noise isn't doing my PTSD much good, either.