Thread: iGrill 2 Bluetooth Thermometer

iGrill 2 Bluetooth Thermometer

I know a couple of you have one of these (https://www.weber.com/US/en/product/igrill/igrill2/), I picked up one a week ago and got to use it on Tuesday. It's got spots for 4 temperature probes, you can slip different silicon sleeves on each probe and match them in the software to keep track of them. The app has a lot of good features and can setup each probe with different alarms, depending on the temperatures you need to cook things too. I was using one as a chamber temp monitor to let me know if my pellets jammed (which happens time to time). The batteries are supposed to be good up to about 200 hours as the bluetooth turns itself on/off to save power, seems to be pretty good at reconnecting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-04 14.17.47.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	99553

Name:	2017-07-04 14.17.42.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	99552

Name:	chicken.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	99554

The phone app will log the temps and graph them, can export that data out of one chooses.

Name:	temps.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	99555

I did find out they have a max temp limit of about 500*F, which my smoker gets up to about 750* on start-up, pretty much cooked the silicon sleeves off the two probes I had placed in there, so those got replaced and I'm only using the probes once I've dropped it back down to cooking temps.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

What type smoker are you using to get 700 degrees? My (an electric) just gets to 300 degrees. That is hot enough to smoke everything I do.
    See you using 4 probes on one shelf or is this just a test? Love the smoker for just about every thing.
    David

Now thats a neat cool device and price is not bad for what its doing. This reminds me i have to get a smoking project done.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
    What type smoker are you using to get 700 degrees? My (an electric) just gets to 300 degrees. That is hot enough to smoke everything I do.
    See you using 4 probes on one shelf or is this just a test? Love the smoker for just about every thing.
    David
    I've got a Louisiana Grills Country Smoker/Grill. It's designed to get hot enough for grilling, the gauge tops out at about 800, but have had the needle past that.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

A Bluetooth meat thermometer?? You gotta be kidding! I thought i was getting a bit obsessive when I put an oven thermometer in the smoker to check the one in the door. It reads about 50ºF lower thant the oven thermometer, which is about all i need to know. BTW, those chicken legs look like they are in a cardiac ward.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Can't ever have too many thermometers. Sorta like clamps.

Name:	Nates Grill Upgraded.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	99570
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Darren for exploring the limits of the technology for us and sacrificing your first 2 probles. LOL

I left mine sit in the box for quite a while until Darren got his. I thought my old 2 probe maverick was good enough.

But I really like this one a lot, lot better. Really a solid unit.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Can't ever have too many thermometers. Sorta like clamps.

Name:	Nates Grill Upgraded.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	99570

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Thanks Darren for exploring the limits of the technology for us and sacrificing your first 2 probles. LOL

I left mine sit in the box for quite a while until Darren got his. I thought my old 2 probe maverick was good enough.

But I really like this one a lot, lot better. Really a solid unit.
    The first two still work fine, just hit the limit of what they would read. I had a couple of spare silicon sleeves and got those replaced too.
    Darren

I'm not sure what to think about all of this. I use a steel pipe smoker made from around 3/16th" thick steel. The usual setup of firebox and then the smoker box which is about 54x24" of grate space. I've had this same one since I think 1998. I have one thermometer on it that's mounted in the lid of the smoker section about dead center. I've done a lot of smoking meat in my time and never wanted the temp to get above around 350. Anything above that I don't think you are smoking meat, but more just grilling it which is fine. I have a gas grill I use strictly as a backup for when I want to just grill some hot dogs or something like that. Otherwise it just sits there. I normally smoke my burgers and sausages because they simply taste mo' betta! But adding Bluetooth to a grill? I don't use Bluetooth for anything. I like technology up to a point but I really try, no offense intended, not to get carried away with it.
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles