thanx for the snowflake video steve ramsay

allen levine

my daughter asked me not to make her reindeer this year for her students, instead she wanted to know if I could make her wood snowflakes for the children to paint and decorate.

I looked up and found the steve ramsay video, easy to follow, so I made the angle sled, and the little holder.

I did not go into a lot of intricate different cuts, Im not selling them, and with my fear of blades, I hate working on small things near moving blades, so I kept it simple. A few cuts on either router(didn't have anything but a sign carving bit, so used that) or table saw.

onlyl thing I can say is make sure the blade is exactly 30 degrees, I didn't have a 30 degree triangle, so I used the wixley and realized after I tighted the blade in place, it must have shifted .1 or .2 degrees, enough to make glue up off. (I made that log anyway, my first one, I don't think the kids will notice)

followed the video, heres the glueups, and then just slicing the log on the bandsaw, easy enough, Ill end up with approx. 100, enough for 15 students. Ill sand them all flat, Ill let my daughter sand out any fuzz, or she can let the kids have some sand paper so they can feel lilke they are not only painting them, but making them also.
Up to her.

its easy to see, the three snowflakes I put on the sled, the one on left side wasn't exactly 30 degrees, so the glueup was off, corrected that.(there are 4 or 5 that are thicker, I needed to choose a good thickness, but they are all usable), I believe she will want me to make some sort of top so the kids can attach several snowflakes to make a mobile.

now, its on to the extending dining table. nothing else important to make.

Attachments

• snowflakes 005.jpg
    snowflakes 005.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
  • snowflakes 004.jpg
    snowflakes 004.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 35
  • snowflakes 003.jpg
    snowflakes 003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 26
  • snowflakes 002.jpg
    snowflakes 002.jpg