sapele dining table

Im still trying to get the bad spot out that the saw dust fell onto wet poly.

not sure if I made it worse, but I keep resanding and try recoating. one corner of the tabletop, its annoying.

here I thought I was just about ready to wet sand and call it a project.

today I decided to sand it down.
started first by wet sanding the legs and aprons to 1500, used a little dish detergent, just a drop or two, and the legs and aprons came out great. went to the top, although I got the smoothest finish Ive ever got after 1500 wet sand, there was a film in the finish.
it had to be one of the last 2 coats that didn't dry right, even though I waited equal time, at least 24 hours, whatever, polyurethane wont be used on any furniture I build in the future.

its really annoying, there were many bad words said.

I ran over to my good buddy who owns a body shop, told him the problem, he questioned me also why I chose polyurethane, it never dries.

I had to resand it again, then put another coat on today, now it looks great, but I don't think Ill wet sand it again.

Ill get the dust nubs off, Im done.

I looked at 3 other tops Ive used poly on, and they all have a glass like finish, not sure what happened ,after the sanding and another coat, I decided to move on and my daughter thinks I should keep it here until they move into their own home which will hopefully happen within a year.(they both said Im being too hard on myself, but I know better, they think its great) took apart my old table, put this one in my front room for now. before they take it, I will resand it again, taking out any scratches, then ofcourse, recoat it.
I will never use polyurethane again for any furniture. learned my lesson.

it had to happen after the third coat, as the legs and aprons only had 2 or 3 coats and after wet sanding them, they came out exactly what I wanted. Not sure if the poly got contaminated.
I lost too much sleep on this project.....I have to go teach myself how to cut glass now for my next project. Im sure Ill be ripping out whatever 6 or 7 hairs I have left.

Attachments

• donefornow 008.jpg
    donefornow 008.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 8-28-17 001.jpg
    8-28-17 001.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
one more thing, after I built the sled to move it around on, I tried fitting the leaf, and I noticed on both sides it seemed to warp, to be off a bit.
as soon as I took it off the sled and onto a somewhat level floor, the leaf fit in perfect. Im glad I didn't try to do anything until I got it onto the floor.

this pic is with the leaf added. Im not a good photographer, and I didn't bother to clean off the table, sorry, we live here.

before I move it to a new home, I will build the extra leaf, redo the poly and the new leaf......Im rarely thrilled with anything I build, I always find too many flaws, this table, minus the finish, I was very happy with how flat and even it all came out since handling it was very difficult.

Attachments

• leafadded 001.jpg
    leafadded 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 11
hey, I could not log in for a couple of months, maybe 6 or so weeks, my son put chrome on my computer so tonight I was able to log in...I thought one you threw me off of here. I must be getting senile, I couldnt remember if I cussed anyone out or posted something innapropiate?
havent been doing that much, went to nevada for a week, went upstate NY for a week, was down with bad back, a bad flu like cold......managed to get a few things done. had my friend over, taught him how to make a wine bottle stopper, not sure if I posted that picture here, made 6 cutting boards, 2 PT adirondack chairs, 4 wine bottle stoppers, 2 key chains, and the past 2 weeks, made a box for my daughters wedding coming up in may 2018, she asked me to make her something to collect cards, still needs to be sprayed with semi gloss lacquer, and elen asked me if I made the other leaf for my daughters dining room table(which will be here till she marries), and asked me to do it right away so we can use it tomorrow night with all our company, so I made it over the past 3 days, sanded to 120, no finish, put it in, shell put a table cloth over the table.
those osbourne table extenders are pretty cool and tough, no bowing in the middle. and thats where IM at, hoping everyone here is doing well and in good health.

(btw, thanx larry, tom and jim, I was on the fence about this extension dining table not sure if I could handle it, and I vaguely remember larry drawing something out on a piece of paper, and him and toma nd jim telling me its going to be something I can handle, so I did)

I still need to sand down the finish smooth again as the last coat of poly was contaminated, not going to do until my daughter is ready to take it.....it will be a big job, I want to take table apart and move into garage right before she takes it permanently. at least thats the plan. for now, its easier for me to have it set up and use, my table is taken apart and stored.

only pics I have right now, the table leaf needs to be finished ofcourse, the boards are all put away wating to be gifted out, and the box will be sprayed monday, as its going to be around 70 here, last day warm enough, my daughter picked out the top of the box, I gave her choices.its much more fun doing perfect mitres on every corner now that I built a jig and making it easier. she liked the little metal feet. during the party it will be dressed up with flowers and stuck in some corner. (its sapele and cherry, all I have left these days)

Attachments

• recentwork 007.jpg
    recentwork 007.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 17
  • recentwork 003.jpg
    recentwork 003.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 22
  • recentwork 006.jpg
    recentwork 006.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ill take a lighter picture when the box is sprayed and not laying in the dark staircase.

I was thrilled the table leaf came out perfect thickness and length since I didnt make it with the first one and table. hope the fninsh matched when Im done, will oil it monday also.

Wow, not sure how I missed the end of this thread. Glad to see you back, Allen. I was wondering where you'd gone off to.

...managed to get a few things done. had my friend over, taught him how to make a wine bottle stopper, not sure if I posted that picture here, made 6 cutting boards, 2 PT adirondack chairs, 4 wine bottle stoppers, 2 key chains...made a box for my daughters wedding...and elen asked me if I made the other leaf for my daughters dining room table(which will be here till she marries), and asked me to do it right away so we can use it tomorrow night with all our company, so I made it over the past 3 days, sanded to 120, no finish, put it in, shell put a table cloth over the table...

OK, so that was Monday. What did you do with the rest of the week? :rofl:

made 3 boxes, purchased small box feet for them, and ceramic knobs for tops instead of turning the top handle, (acmoore), going to spray lacquer on them wednesday, tomorrow is a bowl turning day if I can get my lathe to stop annoying me.....shutting down.....been keeping busy, tons of small projects, bottle stoppers, some pens, cutting boards, Im always out there making sure my back pain never goes away.