Small Red Oak Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I have this pile of logs that somehow got started several years ago. Now most of these logs have lost their bark and the only way I can know or guess what wood a log is will be by cutting into it and then get to turning. Then sometimes it's still guesswork. To the best of my knowledge this bowl is red oak. Has lots of characteristics of wood that's been sitting out in the rain and such, and it has. In fact it was half buried in mud and dirt. It has a little bit of burring here and there that was not gonna sand out. But by and large I think it's a nice little bowl for nuts and such. It's 8 1/4" diameter, 1 3/4" high, and 1 1/8" deep. The volume of it measures at 2 1/4 cups. I did the usual sealing with walnut oil and finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix. Burned some lines on the bottom and outside for decorative purposes. Won't hold water due to some bug holes I didn't seal up. Hopes you like it. :D

The rings or lines are just for decorative purposes and nothing else. Some customers really love them. I have an old 1/2" skew that I keep around just for putting those in. It's sharp enough to get a ring or line started and you can go on and actually burn the line if you put enough pressure on it. But when I can I get the lines started with the skew and then use non coated braided picture wire to burn them the rest of the way. Don't even have to have the speed real high. 800-900 works good. But obviously if the line is going on the inside you can only use the skew. I've got some old scrapers and skews that I have reshaped for my purposes as I don't like some of what is on the market.