Freud Dado blade damage

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Last weekend i milled a dado in some plywood and believe it or not, there was some sort of either metal or stone inclusion between layers that took out a tooth or two on my nice adjustable 8" Freud Dado set. This was not on the chipper but on the main blade set. Was only cutting a 1/4" dado, 3/8 deep in 3/4 ply. Man i was mad when i heard the bang, stopped the machine wondering what had gone wrong.

Anyhow, now that the project related to it is over i need to attend to the issue.

First question, is this kind of damage repairable?

If so who would be the guys to fix it.

I need to evaluate, the round trip costs of fixing if possible versus replacing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have no sources to offer, but if this is simply a matter of replacing a couple teeth, absolutely, it can be fixed.

Last year, I got a really good Freud 40 tooth, industrial straight line rip at a really good price. I found a rock on the inside of a chunk of cedar that took out 21 teeth. Talk about being POed. It would have cost more to fix than replace.

There is a dealer near me, Art's Tool Sales, who has a place they send blades to be repaired. It's been a while since I asked about the prices, but they are pretty reasonable, as I recall. The only time I considered repairing a blade, though, there were so many missing carbide teeth and with the sharpening of the remaining blades, it was cheaper to buy a new blade. I am sure thre are plently of such dealers in your area in Toronto the Good.

Thank you all very much for the replies. Tom and Jim you true FWW members going that far.

I found a place via google search and Canadian Woodworking dorum came up with recommending them. Called them and they actually make carbide tipped industrial saw blades and offer a repair service.
Late Friday just before closing i got the blades affected into them and they will have them done by Thursday. So all is tickety boo.
Name of company is F.S.Tool in Markham for anyone needing their service.
Will report back on how much and quality when i get it back.
Also took in a freud diablo series thin kerf blade for sharpening, figure for $12.50 its well worth giving it a shot. Not sure how that blade will be after, its not got much carbide on in the first place, have no clue how freud claims it can be sharpened 6x thats pure marketing crap again.

I have 6 teeth badly chipped, they charge around $4.50 Canadian per tooth. Plus sharpening. So not bad for a dado set thats worth $200 us.
Fortunately for me the dado was only 1/4" wide so no chippers got hit.

Dont buy cheap ply is my take away.

Rob, it doesn't take much stock removal to sharpen a carbide tipped blade. The service I use repairs any damaged teeth first, then grinds the whole blade, matching the original angles, including side honing. What differentiates blades is, among other things, the quality of the carbide used and the finish left by sharpening. Teeth are replaced for $5 American, so the price you were quoted sounds about right.