2017 m&m machines both designs

Dan Noren

Staff member
time to get a move on with this project. i say both designs, because there is a second design, one for the desktop crowd. i used the same base as the first design, removed one of the spacers, and used a disk, instead of a gear. it will have a smaller mason jar for the goodies, and a slot either side of it in the top, for business cards. time to put that lazy cnc machine to work. it will be in charge of the tops (need the consistent accuracy, as there will be six of each), the trays, the gears, and disks. the rest will be cut by hand.

Attachments

• 001 lumber for machines.jpg
    001 lumber for machines.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 58
started the marking and cutting today. figured out how big for each, and cut the blanks. first ones done are the ones that don't need any cnc work.

Attachments

• 002 gear machine prototype.jpg
    002 gear machine prototype.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 003 parts for gear machine.jpg
    003 parts for gear machine.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 004 parts for desktop machine.jpg
    004 parts for desktop machine.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 005 glue up of blank for gears.jpg
    005 glue up of blank for gears.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 50
haven't used the cnc for this yet rob. all of the cuts you see were done by hand. unless you are talking about the parts to be done on the cnc, then i agree with you. today i smoothed out the blank for the gear blanks. got nine of them cut, but only need six. gotta think about possible bad parts.

Attachments

• 006 gear blanks.jpg
    006 gear blanks.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 20
started cutting the gears today. got three of them done before calling it a day.

Attachments

• 011 todays run done.jpg
    011 todays run done.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 010 first one done.jpg
    010 first one done.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 39
  • 009 start of gear profile.jpg
    009 start of gear profile.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 35
  • 008 candy delivery hole started.jpg
    008 candy delivery hole started.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 007 start of first gear.jpg
    007 start of first gear.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 35
got the last of the gears done, and the first three of the disks. tomorrow it will be finish up the disks, move on to the tops, and bases.

Attachments

• 012 gear number four started.jpg
    012 gear number four started.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 013 all 6 gears cut.jpg
    013 all 6 gears cut.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 014 start of disks.jpg
    014 start of disks.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 015 first three disks cut.jpg
    015 first three disks cut.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 20
got the last three disks done, and started in on the tops for the geared machines. got the first three done today.

Attachments

• 019 first three tops done.jpg
    019 first three tops done.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 018 first top finished.jpg
    018 first top finished.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 017 first top started.jpg
    017 first top started.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 016 last three disks cut.jpg
    016 last three disks cut.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 17
I had heard through an engineer friend who was supposed to be involved in something for Mars Candies, that they were supposed to be coming out with M & M candies with a caramel center. These were supposed to be on the shelves in May of this year, but I haven't seen them yet. I think they will be very popular, and this could be the reason why I haven't found them yet. Has anyone else seen them?

Dan, You are making great progress on those machines. If one of these was in my house it would always be empty, especially if it was filled with the caramel M & M' s

Charley

i'll keep an eye out for them. finished off the tops for the gear machine, and started on the desktop tops. got 2 of them done before calling it a day.

Attachments

• 020 all gear machine tops done.jpg
    020 all gear machine tops done.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 021 start of desktop tops.jpg
    021 start of desktop tops.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 022 first desktop top done.jpg
    022 first desktop top done.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
Yes those Carmel center m&M's are out are they are GOOD!!! Coffee nut is also out which are just as good. Dan any of which will fit right into those dispenser of yours. The only problem with those dispensers I see, is you can't get enough at one time. But that's just me. Need a handful at a time.
Those are gonna be fine machines.
David

Found our first carmel center m&m' s at Dollar General before the big box store.

found a problem with the first one, the slots were too narrow. looked at the code again, recalculated, and tried again, this time it worked ok. then moved on to the other 5.

Attachments

• 023 first good desktop top done.jpg
    023 first good desktop top done.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 024 all six desktop tops done.jpg
    024 all six desktop tops done.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 13
with so much to be done, got the cnc machine working on the bases for the machines. got 4 of them done today, and was able to do a test fitting of the parts for both machines.

Attachments

• 028 test setup of desktop machine.jpg
    028 test setup of desktop machine.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 027 test setup of gear machine.jpg
    027 test setup of gear machine.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 026 first base done.jpg
    026 first base done.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 025 start of cutting bases.jpg
    025 start of cutting bases.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 23
got all of the preliminary cuts done. found that i had drawn the lines on 3 of the tops for the desktop models incorrectly (after cutting one of them that way). corrected the lines, and cut them. set up the cnc again, and quickly cut a new top. now, all that is left, is the hand sanding of the details, and assembly. couldn't resist seeing what all of them would look like after assembly, so i did a quick test assembly, with all of the respective mason jars.

Attachments

• 031 all final cuts done and preassembled.JPG
    031 all final cuts done and preassembled.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 13