2017 m&m machines both designs

about time i got more done on these. i cleaned up all of the gears and disks, and drilled the escape hatches for the m&m's. then i paired up the tops and spacers, to align the holes to be drilled for the brass rod to be used as pivot pins. couldn't help it, had to do tests on both setups, even with an extra long pivot pin (need to get some thick ca glue to keep them in place). the gear model worked just fine, and deposited 8 of them in the tray, a second go round gave another 8. the desktop model (same shape top) worked just as well, dropping a dozen in the tray, and the second go round, another dozen. now all that is left is to assemble, sand, and hit with the blo.

Attachments

• 032 gears and disks cleaned up.JPG
    032 gears and disks cleaned up.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 33
  • desktop test setup.JPG
    desktop test setup.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 039 second go round.JPG
    039 second go round.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 038 desktop setup works.JPG
    038 desktop setup works.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 037 second go round.JPG
    037 second go round.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 036 gear setup works.JPG
    036 gear setup works.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 035 gear test setup.JPG
    035 gear test setup.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 034 tops and spacers paired for drilling.JPG
    034 tops and spacers paired for drilling.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 033 escape hatches drilled.JPG
    033 escape hatches drilled.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 29
in a pause in the action, got all of both types assembled. all that is left, is to cut the brass pivot pins, some remedial sanding, hitting them with blo, and adding the rings with hot glue (experiment went rather well).

Attachments

• 040 desktop models assembled.JPG
    040 desktop models assembled.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 041 gear model assembled.JPG
    041 gear model assembled.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 15
did all of the preliminary sanding on the machines, and called it a day. the final sanding will be tomorrow. i'm still thinking blo finish, but after that, a coat or two of shellac.

Attachments

• 043 all gears first sanding.JPG
    043 all gears first sanding.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 042 all desktops first sanding.JPG
    042 all desktops first sanding.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 8
gave everything a final clean up sanding with 220 grit. packed it all up, and brought it home to do the finish work. created a jig to cut the brass pivot pins on the band saw (second use of the metal cutting blade).

Attachments

• 044 final sanding ready for blo and shellac.JPG
    044 final sanding ready for blo and shellac.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 6
couldn't sleep (sorry allen!), so i went out to the garage, and gave all the parts their coat of blo.

Attachments

• 045 all parts oiled.JPG
    045 all parts oiled.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 045 test with just oiled.JPG
    045 test with just oiled.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 16
rob, i'm looking towards $25 for the smaller one, and $30 for the larger one, and i was thinking about tossing in a bag of m&m's, sort of a deal sweetener, so to speak. loaded up the metal cutting blade i got for the band saw when i cut the angle brackets for the cnc machine, and cut the 12 pivot pins. all that is left now, is to give them a quick rub with 220, and a final coat of shellac, insert the pin, hot glue the rings, and they are all ready to go.

Attachments

• 046 pivot pins cut.JPG
    046 pivot pins cut.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 7
got this one out of the way today. gave all of them the last coat of shellac last night. installed the gears, and disks, and when that was out of the way, hot glued the rings to the bases, and added the jars. took some good pics for the etsy store too.

Attachments

• 051 finished desktop model.JPG
    051 finished desktop model.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 050 all completed.JPG
    050 all completed.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 22
  • 049 rings glued in place.JPG
    049 rings glued in place.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 048 gears and disks installed.JPG
    048 gears and disks installed.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 047 final coat of shellac.jpg
    047 final coat of shellac.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 052 finished home model.JPG
    052 finished home model.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 25
Very nice, but I don't recognize the wood working tool in the first picture on the right side. Does that piece of equipment make the m&M's??
David

that's why it is the perfect version for home use. kids will get about 8-9 of them, where the desktop one gives out 12-13 (more generous to a client). i think you were busy setting up your new cnc machine leo...