Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: By George, I think I've got it!

By George, I think I've got it!

I've tried on and off for several days to get my Beaver/Rockwell goshdarned 28115 bandsaw to keep a blade on its wheels. So today I took it apart, at least took off the guides and examined them. The thrust bearing on the lower guide was seized, so I bathed in for a couple of hours in Evaporust, and once the bearing was moving reasonably freely, I put some WD40 on it, and put it back in the guide thingy. Then I removed the guide blocks, and tried to replace them with Cool Blocks, but the 3/8 x3/8 ones I had bought figuring they would fit (yeah, yeah, I know...) didn't, and more careful measure shows me that the blocks should be 5/16 x 5/16. I'm wondering if I can somehow sand or otherwise pare them down to 5/16, as I can't find 5/16 x 5/16 phenolic anywhere. I tried installing a brand new 3/8" blade, thinking that if the problem was that I had been trying a used blade, that should cure it. However, when I turned the blade by hand it duly popped off. So, I readjustted everything, as shown in the photos, and stepped back, fully expecting to see the blade jump off, but it ran for a solid minute without mishap, so I guess I got it right somehow. So now I hope and pray everything will be OK.

Perhaps Steve Morris, the guru of all things Beaver, can say where I should look for tires, and spare parts. Also, is there a way to adjust the lower wheel, as the blade runs very close to the front of the wheel? TBF, this bandsaw has been giving good service, and I am happy to keep using it. I believe it was manufactured in 1981, which makes it not toooooo old.

See below...

I had not adjusted the guide blocks before I took these pictures. The last picture shows the position of the blade on the lower wheel, the second last on the upper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01091.jpg   DSC01092.jpg   DSC01093.jpg   DSC01094.jpg   DSC01095.jpg  

DSC01096.jpg  
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 07-16-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Nice pics Roger. Got any of the bandsaw?

Gee Whillikers! Guess I should have looked at them before I published. OK, I'll fix it. Those were pics of my visit with my son to the museum in Victoria, BC.
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 07-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Cheers,
    Roger

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

The first picture I thought was your shop. Otherwise looks pretty good time.
    David

Ok, I couldn't delete the attachments once they had been posted, so here they come again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01158.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	99677 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01159.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	99671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01160.jpg 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	99672 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01161.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	99673 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01162.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	99674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01163.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	99675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01166.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	99676

The lst picture is the lower wheel, the second last the upper, showing the position of the blade on the wheel. I had not adjusted the guide blocks when I took these pictures.
    Cheers,
    Roger

Could be your wheels are not coplanar (looking at the last 2 pics). With the guides backed right off, the band should track on both wheels more or less in the same place.

R&D Bandsaws in Brampton is the place for bands & parts http://www.tufftooth.com/
    Last edited by Ed Thomas; 07-16-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Thomas View Post
    Could be your wheels are not coplanar (looking at the last 2 pics). With the guides backed right off, the band should track on both wheels more or less in the same place.

R&D Bandsaws in Brampton is the place for bands & parts http://www.tufftooth.com/
    that's vey possible.. A few years ago I tried to see if there was any way to adjust the lower wheel, but couldn't see any. Meanwhile, I've put it to use already, cutting some 8/4 pine. If anyone knows how or what I should adjust, I'm all ears.
    Cheers,
    Roger

I expect to be down your way sometime in the next 3 or 4 weeks ...

Alrighty then! PM me a day or two before you come down, if you wish to drop in.
    Cheers,
    Roger

Watch this video Roger. Good info: