By George, I think I've got it!

Roger Tulk

I've tried on and off for several days to get my Beaver/Rockwell goshdarned 28115 bandsaw to keep a blade on its wheels. So today I took it apart, at least took off the guides and examined them. The thrust bearing on the lower guide was seized, so I bathed in for a couple of hours in Evaporust, and once the bearing was moving reasonably freely, I put some WD40 on it, and put it back in the guide thingy. Then I removed the guide blocks, and tried to replace them with Cool Blocks, but the 3/8 x3/8 ones I had bought figuring they would fit (yeah, yeah, I know...) didn't, and more careful measure shows me that the blocks should be 5/16 x 5/16. I'm wondering if I can somehow sand or otherwise pare them down to 5/16, as I can't find 5/16 x 5/16 phenolic anywhere. I tried installing a brand new 3/8" blade, thinking that if the problem was that I had been trying a used blade, that should cure it. However, when I turned the blade by hand it duly popped off. So, I readjustted everything, as shown in the photos, and stepped back, fully expecting to see the blade jump off, but it ran for a solid minute without mishap, so I guess I got it right somehow. So now I hope and pray everything will be OK.

Perhaps Steve Morris, the guru of all things Beaver, can say where I should look for tires, and spare parts. Also, is there a way to adjust the lower wheel, as the blade runs very close to the front of the wheel? TBF, this bandsaw has been giving good service, and I am happy to keep using it. I believe it was manufactured in 1981, which makes it not toooooo old.

See below...

I had not adjusted the guide blocks before I took these pictures. The last picture shows the position of the blade on the lower wheel, the second last on the upper.

Attachments

• DSC01091.jpg
    DSC01091.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01092.jpg
    DSC01092.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01093.jpg
    DSC01093.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01094.jpg
    DSC01094.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01095.jpg
    DSC01095.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01096.jpg
    DSC01096.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Ok, I couldn't delete the attachments once they had been posted, so here they come again.

DSC01158.jpg DSC01159.jpg DSC01160.jpg DSC01161.jpg DSC01162.jpgDSC01163.jpg DSC01166.jpg

The lst picture is the lower wheel, the second last the upper, showing the position of the blade on the wheel. I had not adjusted the guide blocks when I took these pictures.

Could be your wheels are not coplanar (looking at the last 2 pics). With the guides backed right off, the band should track on both wheels more or less in the same place.

R&D Bandsaws in Brampton is the place for bands & parts http://www.tufftooth.com/

Last edited:
Could be your wheels are not coplanar (looking at the last 2 pics). With the guides backed right off, the band should track on both wheels more or less in the same place.

R&D Bandsaws in Brampton is the place for bands & parts http://www.tufftooth.com/

that's vey possible.. A few years ago I tried to see if there was any way to adjust the lower wheel, but couldn't see any. Meanwhile, I've put it to use already, cutting some 8/4 pine. If anyone knows how or what I should adjust, I'm all ears.

Yes! I was in there in 1993, and they had a wonderful display of West Coast Indian life and housing. They have made some major changes, and I thought the museum was moving away from information to entertainment. Of course, most museum patrons these days don't have the patience to spend two minutes reading about a display.

Glad to hear it, and that you got the guide blocks taken care of.
For future reference, why wouldn't the blade stay on? What was the fix?
paulh

Since I didn't actually changet anything in the end, it seemed to be a matter of holding my tongue right, and carefully adjusting the top wheel to put it back in its former working condition. Since Ed Thomas was kind enough to drop by yesterday, I have some more things to think about now.

I've been wondering if someone has had the upper wheel assembly apart and reassembled it in some strange fashion. That upper wheel is definitely running in the wrong plane.