Idle tools question.

Ned Bulken

OK folks,
now that my new shop is on the relatively near horizon...
I got to wondering... my shop tools have been Idle and in my rented storage unit for just over a year now. Other than 'rusty' habits on the user side, is there anything I should be careful about once I get them in the new shop? I'm mostly concerned with the core tools: Tablesaw, Planer and Drill Press.

Well, first of all Ned, I would dust them off while talking to them in quiet, soothing tones. They will have been without human contact for quite a while and they will need to be gently reintroduced back into the woodworking society.

After getting them used to your touch again, you might try massaging their tables with some nice, expensive wax and giving their moving parts some fancy lube.

Just a thought................

In addition to Mark's suggestions ;), I'd check any belts to be sure they're not dried and cracked, blow out any dust, lube the slippery parts and clean the non-slippery parts, then re-check the alignment of key things like tables, blades, and fences. Then start getting it all dirty again. :)

Good advice above. When I brought mine stuff out of storage some of the long threads were pretty well caked with sawdust (e.g., planer height mechanism, table saw height adjuster, etc.) An old toothbrush and a mild cleanser, like simple green will do the job. Follow up with a dry lube (e.g. dri-cote) that will not attract saw dust. I should have done that before storing them, but better late than never.:rolleyes:

Also, check your jigs and squares for square and fix or toss any that aren't square.

One more thing. If you have tools you don't use that often, put them in a separate box and check every six months or so for something that ought to be eliminated. As our skill levels and interests grow and change, we (or at least I) wind up using valuable shop space for stuff that just ain't earning its keep!

In order:

Check for black widows or worse.
Check all rubber parts for failure (yes, the power cords and switches too).
Check all lubricants for hardening.
Replace failures as required, de-rust, wax and enjoy.

They already coverd everything I was thinking( small mind). Put for any remaing items, you can use catlitter crystals in a pair of pantyhose to keep the moisture away. Take your time and make sure you check everything real well. It only takes a small peices of missing insulation to start problems.

An old toothbrush and a mild cleanser, like simple green
Beware of Simple Green. The FAA does not allow it to be used on airplanes, because it can corrode the metal in the airframe if it seeps into cracks, including weakening the rivets. On another forum, someone suggested soaking blades in simple green, someone else objected, so they wrote the manufacturer, who responded that washing was good, but soaking could weaken the brazing on the carbide tips.

Ironically, Simple Green Extreme is less corrosive, despite the name. It may be used in aircraft. I looked for it for a year or more, and finally found a large container of concentrate at Sams club.

and check the tools for critters that do the nibbling! :D

No attempt to 'steal' this thread: BUT, I once took my truck in for servicing because I'd noticed decreased performance. Were we ever surprised when the serviceman returned with my air filter complete with a mouse nest, happy momma, and three little squirming babies. No wonder I wasn't running to peak performance.

Watch out for those mud-dobber nests, Ned.