Round Stock V-Block - Version 2

glenn bradley

This random piece of 2x4 has served me since I don't remember when. I use it for drilling round stock or holding round stock for crosscutting at the bandsaw among other things.

Odd Stock Holder (1).jpg

I have been tripping over a scrap of pecan that was too pretty to thrown out but, had a non-through crack down the length of it; I've been tripping over it for years. I had some time and so put 2 and 2 together and made a version 2. I milled the blank square and cut a groove down the length which eliminated most of the crack. I ran a couple of perpendicular grooves as well.

Odd Stock Holder (6).jpg

This one also gets a dovetail slot down the length to make holding it down a little more elegant.

Odd Stock Holder (5).jpg . Odd Stock Holder (2).jpg

Odd Stock Holder (3).jpg . Odd Stock Holder (4).jpg

One more off the low priority list :)

Looks great! Those dovetail slot clamps look very handy. Who makes them? I saw them go by on Facebook a while back, but forgot who the maker was. (I was too engrossed by the idiotic questions and comments people were posting.)

I got a pair from Micro-Jig on some sort of promo. It was one of those right place at the right time things. Their retail price is high IMHO although they are well made.

Cool idea all round Glenn. I have similar block that i also upgraded from original scrap to piece of left over exotic hardwood.

But the clamp idea takes top prize. Gonna unashamedly steal that idea. May use a different clamp since my welding and metal working skills have improved.