Live Oak Cookie Jar

Dave Hoskins

This was turned from already dry live oak, which can be a bear of a thing to do. Pretty tough wood that way. This wood came from my "mystery log" pile. I did the bottom differently than I usually do for some reason that defies any explanation from me except it seemed to be the thing to do at the time and I did it. :D Being live oak it does have some of the usual cracks in it that I find typical with this wood. All wood was sealed with walnut oil. The outside was finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix. The inside received 2 coats of walnut oil only. The outer diameter is 8" with an inside lip measuring 4 1/4". The total height is 6 1/2" with a vessel height of 4 1/2". The vessel depth is 4". The volume came to 1/2 gallon and held a full 12 oz. package of Pecan Sandies. Yes, for all you shortbread cookie fans. I used Pecan Sandies this time. Hope you all likes it. :D

I was going to tell you that wouldn't hold very many cookies, but I guess 12 oz is enough for one sitting.

Great looking piece... haven't tried a cookie jar yet, may have to give one a try and maybe will look as good as yours.

I did do this lidded box that I've posted as a possible urn... could be a possible cookie jar??
28-3481_2.jpg
This is spalted Hackberry and is about 8 1/2 dia by 7 1/2 high, with lid overall height... 104 cubic inches inside.
Use a sanding sealer from "Old Masters" in two coats then 5 or 6 coats of wipe on poly... inside and out.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Chuck, that's nice looking. By the by, the 12 oz. package of Sandies is I think 21 cookies so that should work for anyone on one sitting. I think it would have held almost 1/2 of another one with proper arranging. That is if you could keep from eating them. It was tough looking at those and not partaking. Really tough. Need more coffee!!!

I'm still a kid at heart... I want a glass of milk with my cookies even at 75.

I am a good boy though, I generally only eat 3 or 4 at one time... trying to make the package last a day or two. I get the local store's brand, not sure what the brand is, but they are almost as good as Keebler's which I can't get in Tellico Plains.... have to go to a bigger grocery for them and half again the price.

It generally does not pay for me to keep cookies or candy around. No matter where I am I hear them screaming at me "Eat Me! Eat Me!". So I do. I am finding it a little easier to resist the urges when it is real hot. The sugar in them things just dries you out that much more. Some store brands are pretty good. Others not so much. Trial and error. So for the moment them thar Sandies that I used for the photos are safe from me. For the moment.