Thread: Live Oak Cookie Jar

Live Oak Cookie Jar

This was turned from already dry live oak, which can be a bear of a thing to do. Pretty tough wood that way. This wood came from my "mystery log" pile. I did the bottom differently than I usually do for some reason that defies any explanation from me except it seemed to be the thing to do at the time and I did it. Being live oak it does have some of the usual cracks in it that I find typical with this wood. All wood was sealed with walnut oil. The outside was finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix. The inside received 2 coats of walnut oil only. The outer diameter is 8" with an inside lip measuring 4 1/4". The total height is 6 1/2" with a vessel height of 4 1/2". The vessel depth is 4". The volume came to 1/2 gallon and held a full 12 oz. package of Pecan Sandies. Yes, for all you shortbread cookie fans. I used Pecan Sandies this time. Hope you all likes it.

Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

I was going to tell you that wouldn't hold very many cookies, but I guess 12 oz is enough for one sitting.

Great looking piece... haven't tried a cookie jar yet, may have to give one a try and maybe will look as good as yours.

I did do this lidded box that I've posted as a possible urn... could be a possible cookie jar??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28-3481_2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	99721
    This is spalted Hackberry and is about 8 1/2 dia by 7 1/2 high, with lid overall height... 104 cubic inches inside.
    Use a sanding sealer from "Old Masters" in two coats then 5 or 6 coats of wipe on poly... inside and out.
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 07-18-2017 at 02:18 AM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

You had me at cookie, but that jar looks great.

Thanks, guys! Chuck, that's nice looking. By the by, the 12 oz. package of Sandies is I think 21 cookies so that should work for anyone on one sitting. I think it would have held almost 1/2 of another one with proper arranging. That is if you could keep from eating them. It was tough looking at those and not partaking. Really tough. Need more coffee!!!
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

I'm still a kid at heart... I want a glass of milk with my cookies even at 75.

I am a good boy though, I generally only eat 3 or 4 at one time... trying to make the package last a day or two. I get the local store's brand, not sure what the brand is, but they are almost as good as Keebler's which I can't get in Tellico Plains.... have to go to a bigger grocery for them and half again the price.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

It generally does not pay for me to keep cookies or candy around. No matter where I am I hear them screaming at me "Eat Me! Eat Me!". So I do. I am finding it a little easier to resist the urges when it is real hot. The sugar in them things just dries you out that much more. Some store brands are pretty good. Others not so much. Trial and error. So for the moment them thar Sandies that I used for the photos are safe from me. For the moment.

Love the cookie jar. I hope to get into turning in the future. Ive seen some amazing turnings on this site. Also Sandies are my favorite.

Kinda hard not to like Sandies, isn't it? Thanks again, everybody.

Nicely done.

Les

Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Thanks to all!!!