Baby Walnut HF

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This little guy is walnut, about 3 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" tall. The walls are about 1/16" thick. I used the Don Pencil Stinger bars and my Monster captive rig. Nothing special, just using up a small blank for a little bit of form practice. I think the foot should've been a bit narrower, but I ran out of wood. :doh:

Finished with Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil mix inside and out, and buffed with tripoli only, then Renaissance Wax.

HF018 - 02 800.jpg HF018 - 04 800.jpg

Comments or critiques are welcome. :)

Oh, and here's a size comparison...

HF019 - 11 800.jpg

:D

Look at da shrimp!.....Look at da shrimp!:rolleyes:

Very nicely done Vaughn! I'd think that turning the smaller ones might be a bit more difficult! Again...Nicely done!

Look at da shrimp!.....Look at da shrimp!:rolleyes:

Very nicely done Vaughn! I'd think that turning the smaller ones might be a bit more difficult! Again...Nicely done!
Thanks Ken. In some ways the small ones seem easier, since they are a lot quicker to cut and sand. Fewer square inches to mess something up in, too. :p You can also feel the entire inside with a finger, to it takes less time getting the inside smoothed out just right.

I picked up a box of nine little 4" x 3" walnut blanks for about $20 (shipped) on eBay about the time I got my hollowing rig. I've made a few little bowls, and a couple hollow forms. Now that I have the smapper Don Pencil stuff adapted to my Monster stuff (thanks, Randy :wave: ) it's better suited for doing the little HFs. I think I've still got about 4 of those blanks left, and they'll likely all end up being hollowed out.