More sad news...

Roger Tulk

A couple of years ago when I mentioned that I was living within an hours drive of at least three LV stores, a member here wrote to say he officially hated me. :rofl: Now, please don't judge me too harshly, but LV just opened a store in Niagara Falls, 20 km. and less that 20 minutes away. I don't want to be the object of scorn and dislike, but if LV keeps building stores near me, what can I do? I've already dropped in and bought a very nice parting tool. The clerk asked me why I was crying, and I had to tell her I was going to lose friends over this. :cry:

OK must be a private joke...cause I don't get it...what's an LV store and why is it so bad..I shop at Harbor Freight all the time, can't be worst then them...lol...but I could be wrong..some times cheap stupid stuff is just what you need...

and less that 20 minutes away.

Guys, be careful of what you wish for. I live in the Great Lee Valley Triangle, almost dead centre. One to the ENE about 20 minute drive, one to the NW about 25 minute, and one more to the SSW about 15 minutes by car/moto or 45 minutes by subway+bus. The GLVT is akin to the Burmuda Triangle except it's the funds that go missing.

I'm surprised your wife lets you leave the house at this point. If not for the sake of your wallet, then for the risk that some of your more remote friends might have to fly in to give you a talkin to.

Actually kind of glad we don't have that sort of thing here... Think of the money saved..

OTOH.. I did pick up a really sweet essentially as-new Disston 48 Champion One Or Two Man Crosscut Logging Loggers Saw.. and a nice lance tooth two man felling saw (abut 8') for a nice price last weekend. So can't really complain here.

Last edited:
I feel seriously, severely, massively disgusted. Just ain't fair. uhuh :( Ain't got one of those within several hundred miles. Just can't figger that being cost effective. So, I guess I will just go pout and eat some Blue Bell Banana Pudding Ice Cream.

Well, it is a Canadian company, eh? But they do have mail order. In the stores you don't get to handle the good stuff. It's kept in locked cabinets, and to purchase you put the part number on a slip of paper with your name and various other info, and take it to a clerk who goes and gets it for you. The way we used to buy beer and liquor in Ontario until the seventies. Of course, once you 've bought it, you can take it out to your car and fondle your new Veritas plane or set of mortise chisels.

I like my reconditioned Stanley planes, but I wish I could afford one of those Veritas planes.

I live possibly 15 minutes from a LV store. They have changed recently, ok yes they have gotten into designing and building more tools, but they used to have odd lots of clearance items. Things that had been in a warehouse for 40 or 50 years.
They also had items that other stores didn't carry. I bought one of the original speed squares at LV long before the knockoffs were being sold everywhere.
Speaking of speed squares, recently I bought a package of 2 sizes of plastic Stanley speed squares at Lowes, but I returned them because they weren't square. They sure looked nice though.