Kitchen Sink?

Pete Simmons

Remodeling kitchen new granite counter tops.

Any suggestions on type of sink? Stainless 16 , 18 gauge? Composite?

We are interested in a black composite but people tell us they crack easily. My cheap stainless sink lasted 30 years just fine.

Maybe I'll get a cheap stainless sink and spray it black with a $1 spray can. Just be sure you people do not tell my wife.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Well, Pete. Seems to me you already have your answer. Stainless steel! I have found that in many areas that the latest is not always the greatest. My sister when she remodeled her kitchen had one of those composite sinks put in. When you go over to her place you will find now a stainless steel one. I didn't ask why, but she went back to the old tried and true. The composite sink is not a fancy planter surrounded by some decorative rock.

I've installed several kitchen sinks over the years, but only one was composite. The first item for sink care was never drain boiling water in the sink without running cold water at the same time. Cleaning was another issue. I've never been called back to replace it, but I wasn't impressed.

SS for us. The heavier gauge the better. Then comes the single bay vs double bay question. If you are considering black counter tops be aware they show every speck of dirt.

I installed a composite sink - black. Got it from Lowes. Made from crushed granite with some kind of binder. I've had no problem with it, even with boiling water poured straight in. Washed out a paint brush in it and thought I had made a big mistake. I saw nothing at first but when it dried, white spots all over. Wiped it with a scrubber sponge, it all came right off. It looks nice with the counter tops, but I will have to agree with everyone SS and as heavy gauge as you can get.

SS here. We had granite installed about 7~8 years ago, and went with the largest, deepest undermount Stainless steel sink we could find. Had to special order from Kohler. It's a single, 11" deep and about 20" wide by 34" long. Wife loves it.

SS for us. The heavier gauge the better. Then comes the single bay vs double bay question. If you are considering black counter tops be aware they show every speck of dirt.

We have a double bay with a large sink on one side that's big enough for big pots, etc.. and small prep sink with the disposal on the side. Similar in layout to the one in the link here from homedepot (although I don't remember what we bought as it was ~10 years ago its probably no longer sold anyway):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-Lu...-Double-Basin-Kitchen-Sink-ELUH3219/100413278
Generally really like the layout in our kitchen, but I suppose it depends a bit on how you use it.

If I had room a large double sink would of course be even better, but we were fitting into an existing cabinet opening and this was a decent compromise.

We also put a sink strainer basket in the large sink side which has proven to be quite a nice idea for easily cleaning it out:
https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Sink-Strainer-Removable-Stainless/dp/B012Q5RTSW

If you go stainless, +1 on the thickest steel you can afford (I think ours is 18g if I recall correctly)., and also spring for a good undercoating which appears to dramatically reduce the noise and condensation.