Desk idea, input wanted

Jeff Horton

Long time since I posted anything.

Here is a very old idea I have had for a computer desk. Pulled it back up and seriously looking at it again. I still like the concept but I have decided I do not like the cabinets undernearth. Style doesn't match the desk and I want to go with shelves instead.

desk by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

desk2 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

I want to place my computer tower on one side and the printer on the other. Open shelves, replace the solid back with a stretcher. Keyboard pull out in the center of some sort. I want something different, Arts and Crafts styling but I am not sure what. Maybe someone has an idea.

I like this BASIC idea. Small drawer on either side with open shelf underneath. Keyboard pull out in the center. Not the draws fronts. I would come up with something else. Just not sure what at this point. I tend to design as I go and let it tell me what looks right.

612b20f4-c042-47c1-b967-a7e3bcfc98ee_1000.jpg

Since I need somthing under the drawers I saw these. Maybe something along these lines? I would need two on each side. One on the outside from the stretcher to the drawer and then one on the opposite side of the drawer support. Prefer to keep my leg style, just looking at the panels.

490457.jpg

arts-and-crafts-dining-table-modern-interiors-design-ideas-regarding-arts-and-crafts-dining-room.jpg

At this point I am just looking at ideas and wanted to see if anyone had another idea. As for wood I am not sure what I want to use, I have some quarter sawn white oak but not sure if I have enough for this and not sure I want to use it. Not big in dramatic contrast but I have enough walnut and cherry to make this. Was thinking walnut for the flat surfaces and cherry for the rest? Might contrast nicely without being over the top.

Last edited:
jeff, can you email (vams564@hotmail.com) the sketchup file for this, and let me play around with this? there are good ideas here. also, i'd need the dimensions of the tower, and printer.

Last edited:
jeff, can you email (vams564@hotmail.com) the sketchup file for this, and let me play around with this? there are good ideas here. also, i'd need the dimensions of the tower, and printer.

Not sure if I still have the file. I switched to Linux and don't use SU anymore. I will have to look and see if I have it still? These were screen shots I saved.

Former draftsman/designer I am one of those that works off a paper napkin sketch with just the basic dimensions like height and width. I work out the rest as I build. I gave up on detailed drawings so even if I have it, I doubt it accurate, probably just a picture for me to look at.

Just doodling. I think it needs to be a bit bigger and a modification for a shelf for the tower. I would advise you to put the printer on another piece of furniture.

Edit: Bigger and added shelves.

Last edited:
Hey Dave! Haven't settled on dimensions, I work backwards sometimes and get my ideas and then work out the details. But I need 30" maybe 32" in the center for a keyboard pull out. 16" for the printer. Computer is narrower or course. So that makes the base at least 62" which is about what I had in mind for the desk top. Might have to leave the printer out and do smaller shelves, but I was really wanting in arms reach. But it's not a deal breaker.

I have space for most any length but while the details are still fuzzy I am thinking something Green and Green-ish crossed with the Oriental simplicity and details. Hard to describe because I will know it when I figure it out. I want to lightness of Oriental styles. Like the overhanging top with tapered edges to soften it.

I like your hanging supports on the bottom version. Maybe just build some slabs and miter then into those with no stretchers to make it look lighter. I could add a brace underneath if needed and keep it out of sight.

It will need a side panel for sure but not sure exactly what but Green and Greene is always inspiring.