Battle shots project

Rob Keeble

So i guess most of us old geysers would know of the game we played at school on paper called battleships.

Well trust the new internet generation to morph this into something else. lol

So my son and his girlfriend come to me two weeks ago and ask if i would help them make a battleshots board.

I said bring the drawing and we can see. To which i got sent a bunch of weblinks as a substitute for a sketch of the deliverables. Yeah so much for the client giving you the spec. lol

Anyway after a overnight brain fart i remembered a production management board of my youth having golf tees in pegboard, i popped into my shed to see if i had some pegboard that would do the job. I did but it was not ideal and visits to all the local borgs and hardware stores revealed pegboard with the wrong size holes. They used to sell two sizes.
So we had to make do with what we had and that came after i had the box already on the go.

So this build is not exactly what i consider to be great work, its a get er done adequately project and dimensions were all over the place. Was supposed to be a three man project and like all the things i have been involved in of this nature it ended up being one man project. I wont bore you with all the rework issues.

So the project is a suitcase which has two sides that open into two playing boards.
The boats are made from Cherry
The box made from ply that wrecked my dado blade.
Sprayed it with a harbor freight cheapo gun and used sample size can of pva colored to grey $5 at Home Depot.

For the wood parts which the customer insisted on having wood looking, i used the sanding sealer then 6000 waterbased poly.
I love that stuff both for how it goes on and how it cleans up and how it takes stain.
I had three or 4 hours to do all the finishing so its nothing special and full of dust etc.

What I like the most is the catches i found at home depot never seen this type of locking catch before.

Used the vinyl cutter to cut letters and strips to make the checkered board in the box. That was a rework of the "rattle can" sprayed job done by GF and Son. Took a can of acertone to rescue the only piece of appropriate sized pegboard.
Hindsight being what it is I wish i had used a piece to just drill an appropriate sized piece of 1/4 sanded fir ply.

Here are the pics

20170723_101001.jpg20170723_100835.jpg20170723_101153.jpg20170723_101214.jpg20170723_101201.jpg

See if you can spot the mistake i got alerted to after use yet the "assistant" lol that helped put the detail to it never spotted it on acceptance and delivery. Told them to call customer complaints department and ask for a refund.lol
enjoy.

No plans were made in the making of this device. Shot glass is too small for my liking.lol Its barely a sip.

We'll just go with the ordering being an extra challenge.. when you can't tell its wrong the games over! Hehe.

I was imagining the holes drilled in the board when you described it before.. the "floating" ships make a ton more sense.. some days I think I ain't firing on all cylinders.

Looks great other than the minor labeling snafu :)

Most of the the time people will read right past a mistake because their mind automatically corrects it for them.

That looks like a pretty fun game. I'd probably play it with small glasses of beer though.

Along the lines of the alphabet thing, I thought I would print up some dice to use for randomly picking out songs on my jukebox. There are 20 letters and 8 numbers, so I customized a D20 die to have the first 20 letters of the alphabet on it. Once I started trying to use it I realized my error. The juke box skipped a couple of letters here and there so it wasn't just the first 20 letters. Had to go back to the old drawing board and fix it up.

And I had never even noticed it in all the time I had been printing title strips and re-arranging records and what not.