This wood was advertised as spalted flame maple, but it doesn't look like any flame maple I've ever met. Whatever it is, it was some punky stuff that really wanted to tear out badly. The wood hardness also varied widely, so some spots were much software than others. Even though I was able to eventually get pretty clean cuts, what sanding I did made it more and more uneven, so I decided to go all the way and sand it hard all over, making it consistently uneven everywhere. This ended up giving it more of a rustic sculpted or carved feel. You can see the uneven edge in the detail shot below. (Looks like I used a dull rock as a bowl gouge.) Not the original plan, but a pleasant surprise to me. It's 11 1/4" wide x 3" tall, sanded to 220 and finished with Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil mix.
Attachment 8758 Attachment 8759 Attachment 8760 Attachment 8761 Attachment 8762
This is bowl #20 for me, so I'm still learning. Suggestions and opinions are welcomed.