Funky, Punky Maple Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This wood was advertised as spalted flame maple, but it doesn't look like any flame maple I've ever met. Whatever it is, it was some punky stuff that really wanted to tear out badly. The wood hardness also varied widely, so some spots were much software than others. Even though I was able to eventually get pretty clean cuts, what sanding I did made it more and more uneven, so I decided to go all the way and sand it hard all over, making it consistently uneven everywhere. This ended up giving it more of a rustic sculpted or carved feel. You can see the uneven edge in the detail shot below. (Looks like I used a dull rock as a bowl gouge.) Not the original plan, but a pleasant surprise to me. It's 11 1/4" wide x 3" tall, sanded to 220 and finished with Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil mix.

Bowl 020 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 020 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 020 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 020 - 04 800.jpg DSC_2322T Detail LR.jpg

This is bowl #20 for me, so I'm still learning. Suggestions and opinions are welcomed.

Vaughan it may have been a bear to finish but I think you did a good job of saving it. The graining is very exciting.Remeber when you don't think they look great they become an art piece for the next person.
Ken

Well, sometimes you just try too hard to make it into something you want, sometimes you just got to go with it, like you did here, I think the results speak for themselves :clap: :thumb: