This is my newest batch of Pepper mills...

Chuck Ellis

Been working this week and last on getting my inventory back up ... last 3 weeks I've sold a number of my pepper mills and my inventory is low... Put together 17 new mills this past two weeks. Had a lot of fun making my own blanks from various woods. I got a new table top joiner last fall and it sure makes a difference in doing the construction of my blanks,.

34-3533_0.jpg
Maple core with bubinga and purpleheart 9 inches tall
34-3534-35_0.jpg
Sycamore core with bubinga and purple heart - 1 is 4" and second is 6", crank operated
34-3536_0.jpg
Spectraply "Rising tide" core with curly maple and cocobolo, 10" tall
34-3537_5.jpg
Spectraply "royal camo", maple and bubinga, 10" tall
34-3538_0.jpg
Wormy Pecan, 9" tall
34-3539_0.jpg34-3540_1.jpg
Cherry 7 1/2 inches tall and 9" tall
34-3541_0.jpg
Walnut, 9 1/2 inches tall.... this was supposed to be a rocket ship, don't think I accomplished that. :huh::rofl:
34-3542_1.jpg
Cherry 6" crank operated
34-3543_0.jpg
Wormy Pecan, 6" crank operated

second batch... total of 17

34-3545_0.jpg
Walnut, 6" crank.
34-3547_2.jpg34-3546_4.jpg
6" cranks from multiple woods... this is where the joiner came in handy... I re-sawed several boards on my table saw, then ran through
the jointer to flatten... made up 4 blanks from the supply of boards I was working on, but only got 2 turned so far.
34-3548_1.jpg
Black Limba and Spectraply "AppleJack".. 8 inches tall
34-3549_1.jpg
Spectraply "Land and Sea" core, with Leopardwood and Dalmation then Ash on outer shell... 10 inches tall.
34-3550_5.jpg
Ipe and Spectraply "Camo Supreme", 9 inches tall. I had another of this combination earlier and it got lots of attention in my booth...
finally sold last weekend, since the combo worked so well thought I would try another, slightly different cut pattern.

Most of these I glue the boards parallell, then cut at angles usually 3" wide, then square the ends to keep the angles... I lose a little wood that way but not too much. the angle pieces from the corners that are left over, I reglue into a square blank... usually makes from some interesting angles in the finished mill. All of these are finished with 2 coats of Old Masters Sanding sealer, the Yorkshire grit, then a few coats of wipe on polyurethane.

Thanks everyone... these are fun to make.
They were supposed to go to market today, but skipping this one and staying home with Dianne.... she just had a pace maker implanted on Tuesday and I think I need to stay home for a few days with her. She's doing fine, just being cautious.

that royal camo is my favorite, great work, not that Id ever seen any but great work from your posts. I kinda hope one day I have half the talent you turners have so I can knock out some products that look that good. Just don't have the time to practice....flatwork keeps creeping up on me and I get more requests. I have 2 peppermill kits still sitting in the draw, not to mention 2 dozen bottle stoppers, 2 dozen pen kits, a flashlight kit, keychain kits, and various other things Id like to turn and make a project out of.