looks like i've hit the wall with sketchup...

Dan Noren

Staff member
went to open a file sent to me that was done up in sketchup 2017, and couldn't open it. said i had to upgrade to 2017 (most recent i have is 2016). went to their site, and found out that they only have 2017 for 64 bit machines, nothing for 32 bit machines. i guess that in order for those with 32 bit machines that want to use 2017, will have to buy a whole new pc. i guess it will be a good long while before i upgrade sketchup, since it will be a good long while before i get another pc (that includes the laptop).

You will probably find that happening more & more as software companies stop developing updates & drivers for 32 bit systems. How old is your computer/laptop & what version of windows are you running ? Most machines built in the last 10 years will support either 32 or 64 bit operating systems so one option might be to change from 32 bit to 64 bit. Only thing you might need to watch is any peripherals that you use ( printers, scanners, cameras etc) would need a 64 bit driver which may not be available if they are older devices :)
With what I do I couldn't cope with a 32 bit system, I do vinyl graphics (cad cut & print), digital print files tend to be quite large & use a lot of memory when being edited. Since 32 bit systems can only use approx 3.5 gig Ram I would spend half the day twiddling my thumbs waiting on the computer catching up lol