Cameras in Big Box Stores

Mike Turner

Ive seen the difference in some tools bought in big box stores...Had bad experiences for sure.. Is there any difference in cameras bought in a big store?

I hear the stories of differences quite often, but other than opinion, I have never seen any substantial proof that borg stuff is substantially different.

I see vinyl siding as .040 thick at borg and at a siding supplier at .044 That is a difference of .004 - the thickness of writing paper, or about the thickness of a human hair. That is not substantial.

As to cameras - a Camera with a model number at Walmart is going to be the same camera with the same model number at a camera store, but less money. I am NOT a camera "buff", but I have never had a problem with a walmart camera - canon, Nikon, Olympus or whatever brand name. On the other hand, IF, I were a camera buff and I wanted an expensive Digital SLR with special lenses and plan on spending $2500, I would not shop at walmart. I would want support from someone that knows what they are talking about.

I also think Best Buy is a LITTLE better than Walmart, but the staff is often a LITTLE knowledgeable, but be careful as they will impart opinion with the LITTLE knowledge.

Wally is fine on the low end, like the stuff I buy.
High end, I would recommend a good camera store.

But that is just MY opinion.

My older son is a "sorta" camera buff...he calls himself a Truck Driver with a Camera.... he'll buy a laptop or PC at Walmart, but when he wants camera gear, he generally goes on line to B&H out of New York... Ed is a Nikon buff and his current camera is a Nikon D7000 ( I think ).. he has half a dozen different lenses for it. He did use a D50 but gave that to his niece.

I have to go pretty much with what Leo said here. My only contention with Best Buy is the people there try and sell more than what you need. Of course that's their job. Some Wally World's have occasionally a person who knows their products. The store nearest me has a lady in the electronics area that is quite knowledgeable in that are on their products. And she separates her opinion from the facts. But I will say the Nikon Coolpix I bought there has been an outstanding camera for me. I have used Sony's and Olympus's before and this Nikon is as good if not better. Anyway, that's my two cents worth after only two cups of coffee.

I believe the cameras will all be the same. They may come packaged with different items or different photo editing software (for example) but the cameras themselves should be the same regardless where you buy it. Having said that...do buy it from a well known store. If buying online there are some very cheap camera dealers which can be troublesome to deal with. They will offer the camera at one lowest price then say it is out of stock and try to "up-sale" you to something different. Any well known electronics store like "Newegg" is fine. Prices can vary so do shop around.

I buy mostly from B&H, sometimes from Adorama. My most recent camera body purchase was from AAFES. For any given model, it will/should be the same camera wherever you find it. One difference to be aware of is "grey market" vs "USA" market offerings. USA market items are imported by or with the blessing of the manufacture and are backed by their warranty. Grey market items are imported directly by retailers or their agents. Grey market items are slightly cheaper but warranty service can be inconvenient-to-unavailable.

B&H has always been good to deal with. OTOH, same models in Wally's place should be same item. Do check around. Wal-Mart is getting bigger with online shopping. Same items at better prices and much bigger selection.