2017 small cupboard project

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, i had a bit of an idea about what to do with the leftovers from trimming the dresser drawer frames. the wife :blah: has been after me to make a small pantry/cupboard, and i instantly found a use for those odd frames. seems that using 2 of them for the sides, and one for the back, and one for a door, i'm almost home free! :five: now all i have to do, is figure out a base to raise it up a bit, and something for the top, along with holes for adjustable shelves. just gotta love it, when something falls in your lap, almost completely done...

Attachments

• 001 plenty of offcuts.jpg
    001 plenty of offcuts.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 002 small cupboard idea.jpg
    002 small cupboard idea.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 24
got the rabbets routed for the panels in the sides, back, and door. got the parts cut for the riser cut, then chased back inside by the rain....

Attachments

• 003 rabbeted for panels.jpg
    003 rabbeted for panels.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
  • rain.jpg
    rain.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 19
cut the parts for the riser, and took a bit off of the bottom of the door, as the case will be inset 3/4" into the riser, and i wanted 1/4" clearance for the bottom of the door. next was the adding of the panels. ran out of plywood quick, but i did manage to get the panels for the sides and the door done.

Attachments

• 003 riser cut and ready for sanding.JPG
    003 riser cut and ready for sanding.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 004 panels in place in sides and door.JPG
    004 panels in place in sides and door.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 14
got the panels in for the back, and did a quick test assembly. did the final assembly of the riser, adding braces for the case to sit on. where would the fun be, if i didn't do a test of the case in the riser, with the door? now to fit it out with some bracing frames, and the top assembly.

Attachments

• 009 test setup of case in riser.JPG
    009 test setup of case in riser.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 10
  • 008 test setup of case.JPG
    008 test setup of case.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 8
  • 007 riser completed.JPG
    007 riser completed.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 006 adding case supports.JPG
    006 adding case supports.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 005 back panels in place.JPG
    005 back panels in place.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 6
a bit more of this one out of the way. got the parts for the upper and lower support frames, the upper frame, and top cut. now i just have to figure out how i'm gonna do the adjustable shelves...

Attachments

• 013 boards for top ripped to width in place.jpg
    013 boards for top ripped to width in place.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 012 boards for top cut to length.jpg
    012 boards for top cut to length.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 011 top and bottom brace frames cut.jpg
    011 top and bottom brace frames cut.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 010 top spacer in place.jpg
    010 top spacer in place.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 7
thank you bill!:bow: i knew about that one a while back, but it clean slipped out of my poor lil brain. best part of all, is i can have the cnc machine make all of the cuts for the brackets.:bliss:

thank you bill!:bow: i knew about that one a while back, but it clean slipped out of my poor lil brain. best part of all, is i can have the cnc machine make all of the cuts for the brackets.:bliss:

You're welcome, Dan!

The first time I saw that type of shelf adjusting system was in an armoire my wife bought about 15 years ago. The armoire was made in France c1920 and incorporates that type of system on the two smaller compartments on each side. I made some shelves to match the originals, which was interesting. Each shelf is notched on each corner to fit around the brackets.

And, yep - a good job for the cnc to work on! :thumb:

got the code ready last night. turned the machine loose on them, using leftovers from the cutting of the new drawer faces. over all, 35 inches long, and 2 inches wide, by about 11/16 thick. thanks for the reminder on that one bill!

Attachments

• 018 all brackets finished.JPG
    018 all brackets finished.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 017 first bracket finished.JPG
    017 first bracket finished.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 016 first bracket being cut.jpg
    016 first bracket being cut.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 015 parts planed for shelf brackets.JPG
    015 parts planed for shelf brackets.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 014 parts cut for shelf brackets.JPG
    014 parts cut for shelf brackets.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 7
the over all length of the brackets is 35 inches, with the toothed area being 24 inches (limit of the software, without going to tiling). i'm thinking of adding them around 9 inches below the top, a fixed shelf there, two adjustable shelves, and the one on the bottom, that ought to be enough. i'm also thinking about adding a slight taper to the undersides of the top, and the spacer just below, i'm thinking that they look kinda blocky as is.

got the parts for the top, the frame under the top, and the two structural support frames planed. managed to glue up the top, and the under the top frame. the other 2 frames will be glued up tomorrow.

Attachments

• 019 top parts planed.JPG
    019 top parts planed.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 020 top parts in clamps.JPG
    020 top parts in clamps.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 021 below top frame in clamps.JPG
    021 below top frame in clamps.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
stopped in to the shop on the way home from work this morning, and glued up the two support frames. things should go a bit quickly now...

Attachments

• 022 support frames glued up.jpg
    022 support frames glued up.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 7
got a little bit done yesterday. started the finishing on the riser, and located the shelf brackets, and cut the shelf supports.

Attachments

• 023 riser stained.JPG
    023 riser stained.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 024 shelf brackets located.JPG
    024 shelf brackets located.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 025 shelf supports cut.JPG
    025 shelf supports cut.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 3