Red Oak Candy/Nut Jar

Dave Hoskins

Finished this pedestal jar today. The inside is not hollowed out as much toward the base as I would like to have done, but with the knot as big as it was I was concerned about losing the knot so I left some extra wood there. This wood did have a small amount of burring on it that just wasn't gonna sand out, but then again that kinda goes a bit with rustic characteristics that I do like. I do leave burring now and then anyway but if Mamma Nature wants to put it there where I can't get it out, then that's just as well. The outside diameter is 5" and the inside lip is 3 1/2". Total height is 6" and vessel depth is 2 3/4" with a volume measures at 2 cups. I used my usual walnut oil for sealing and the walnut oil/shellac mix for finishing. Hopes ya likes it. :) Uh, no. It doesn't come with the pistachios.

I like this one!

I'll agree that knot looks like a challenge, hopefully the extra thickness doesn't cause it any problems but oak isn't usually to bad for that so we'll cross out fingers for you :)

Thanks, guys! Ryan, that wood is so dry I wasn't too worried about movement or anything. Just worried the knot would come apart and leave a big hole in it which would then ruin the look I was trying to get. I did use a bit of superglue to reinforce it, but that doesn't always do the job with all the spinning force going on.

I gotta get some more M&M's, David. The ones I had I kept in a jar in the shop fridge. I forgot to put them in after the last time they were used and they melted big time in the jar. The saying they melt in your mouth and not in your hand does not include the back area of my shop in the summer time.