A Wonderment

Dave Hoskins

We have all seen this at the very beginning of movies at home. "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen." :huh: How can this be a reality? They don't know what screen I have. They don't know what screen you have. Where do they come up with this crazy stuff??? I am sure some techo whiz will end up giving me some answer that does not make any sense, because to me common sense should prevail! It ain't formatted to fit this screen!!! It ain't!!! They need to stop this, right? Of course they won't. Of course they won't. All those who do this to us are Hollywood weirdos who ain't go no common sense. Alright. I'll stop now. Gonna go eat a brat dog and drink a Dr. Pepper.

Years ago in the distant past there were CRT TV's Those antiques had basically square screens.

Movies were made for long wide screens in the movie theaters.

Edited to fit, means the movies were edited to fit those old antique TV screens - not for the new modern TV's

You must be watching OLD movies.

I don't know for sure what you are meaning as an old movie, Leo. I watched the dvd of Lake Placid, which is a 1999 movie and it had it right after all the FBI warnings and all that. But I watched a 1942 Bela Lugosi movie called The Ape Man and it didn't have that on it. It's a 1942 movie I believe. So, I'm not sure. What do you think? I understand what you are saying about the old screens being square. By the by I don't like those movies that are wide screen and are so thin on the height of the movie only a third of the screen is taken up. Irritating to me. Guess I'm just a stick in the mud.

Back when I first started driving in Texas, there were no pictures on the driver's license... You just mailed in your old license and they sent you a new card... there was a fellow stopped on Hwy 75 south of Dallas (this was before they built I45)... he was sitting behind the wheel and operating the pedals, but his 10 year old son was steering.... the man was totally blind... he had lost his sight after getting his license and just kept renewing....

On a side note, because of the Texas renewal system, I was able to have dual driver's license when I was in the Navy in San Francisco... I had a California ( I got that when I bought my first car in Arizona and drove back into CA in 1963) and a Texas driver's license. (And because my mother had an Oklahoma address when i bought the car - they were on temp assignment in AZ.... I had Oklahoma plates on my car. Made for some fun conversations with the police when I got stopped.

I imagine those were interesting conversations, Chuck. The law as I remember it was that while you were active duty military, you got to keep your home of record license no matter if it was for 4 years or 26 years of service.. In yours and my cases, Texas. If you drove in another state while active duty you were to get that state's license while maintaining the home of record license. And, whatever state you were driving a vehicle in had to have that state's plates. You could not involve 3 states with it. Most law enforcement officers would not give you a ticket for it but a warning telling you to stop the third state involvement. Which I imagine is what happened. But, still interesting discussion nonetheless I am sure.