Finally fit in some woodworking

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well, not real woodworking, but woodworking none the less.

After going through my trailer bed again unloading brush and having more patches in it than actual bed left, it was time for a new one.

To give you an idea, I only actually had to cut two pieces to get all of it into my 40" tall trash bin with the lid closed, most of it just came out in rotted chunks. Also evicted about 3 ant colonies in the process that had moved in.
2017-08-19 17.28.59.jpg

The sub-frame had never been painted, but only had a couple of spots with minor pitting in the steel. I gave it all a once over with a wire wheel in the grinder, then primed and painted it with a couple of coats from rattle cans. Installed new lights and all new wiring before installing the new bed using treated lumber this time, also used coated bolts to prevent them from rusting.
2017-08-20 19.19.26.jpg

Surprisingly it only took about 4 hours total. Plan to repaint the rest of it this fall.

Good looking to me, Darren! I've done that same job on a 12' flatbed and a 20' car hauler trailer. The car hauler was a pain but got it done in one long day. Used treated lumber as well. Even though it ain't what we normally think of as wood working, it is. Again, good job!

Well, not real woodworking, but woodworking none the less..........

Thanks Darren, I don't feel so sad finally being able to post something wood related{lol}...Been fixing up a small trailer that my neighbor had sitting in his junk pile for years and gave me the "go-ahead and take it if wanted".
Blew off the remains of the De-laminated plywood deck and after some sanding, wire wheeling, rattle can paint and re-wiring, I threw some 5/4 decking boards on her and can now haul my 'widdle' riding mower to a couple of residential customers with gates to small for my larger mower to fit thru. I made the sides able to preform double duty as ramps, though I will re-do them when I buy longer boards to close in the whole trailer {So cheap I used what I had for now}....Anyways, it feels good not to just lurk....
Nice job BTW Darren! I need to stumble onto a larger trailer like yours sometime down the road...Here's a few pics of my 'semi tractor trailer' ;) :D
DSCN1966.jpgDSCN1981.jpgDSCN1985.jpgDSCN2183.jpgDSCN2184.jpgDSCN2185.jpg

Hey Ken! :wave: Good to see you're still pluggin away. That trailer turned out great, really like the way the sides become the ramps, that's a really great idea.

I still need to add some side panels back on mine. I was considering welding expanded metal panels in rather than plywood this time. I mostly use it for hauling limbs/yard waste to the dump and bringing back a few yards of mulch or gravel when needed (outside of using it for moving kids to new places ;) ).

I need to haul some gravel and mulch this weekend, so spent some time adding sides onto the trailer. I had planned to just use some 1/2" treated plywood, but most of the stuff the borg had was quite twisted and warped, and I would have had to splice it as the trailer is 10' long, so got to looking at what else was on the shelves. I ended up buying some of the 5/4 decking material and stacked it up 2 high on each side. used some of the cut-offs to make cleats to screw to on the outer sides of the rails. Cut some holes in the top pieces for being able to run my straps through when hauling brush/limbs to the dump.

2017-08-29 19.30.59.jpg 2017-08-29 19.31.08.jpg

Both Darren and Ken's trailers look like they have years more life left in them now. I'm about to remake one of the little Harbor Freight trailers like Ken's and I really like the idea of using the sides os ramps, so I will very likely do that. Thanks for showing me that great idea, Ken. I think you have inspired me to throw a coat of paint on it before the wood too.

Charley

Last edited: