We have another eclips in the log books...

When I get to work in the morning I walk from ground level and go down 21 steps.. I walk through a building to my desk. There are painted gray cement block walls all around. My desk area is shared with 3 other engineers and some green 5 foot partitions. The manufacturing area is down the hall and another 4 steps down. Concrete floors, concrete walls, huge concrete poles to support a concrete ceiling.

Occasionally I walk up the steps and there are 12x12 windows in the outside doors to be able to see outside. I did that 2 times today.

All the rest of the time I have NO sense as to what is going on outside - sun - rain - snow - storms, whatever.

AHHHHHH - such is the life of a factory worker.

In 15 minutes I will see what the world looks like. Hopefully it is still out there.

Eclipse? That may show up on my solar monitoring software chart. It may mean I didn't generate electricity during that time. The moon robbed me of my free electricity.

Wasn't to worked p about the eclipse but we had the glasses so sat through the whole shebang. It was neat to watch but it sure got warm. The eclipse was 94% here but was fun to watch with friends. Snuck a quick peek without the glasses it was just a big yellow blob. You could not telling was partially obscured. Never did very dark. Now to compare in 2024.
David

Almost a non-event here....about 86%. Had to MacGyver my Shade 14 welding helmets with IR remotes so they would trigger, but they worked just fine. Pressing the on button on the IR remote caused the lens to darken. Was worried for a while but found the hack on the net.
IMG_4093.jpgIMG_4096.jpg

Non event here too. Odd color to the light, that was kind of cool, but not as dark as some thunderstorms. 2024? What's the path? I might have to stick around for that.

We had a 99.58% eclipse here, was pretty darned impressed until I started hearing from folks up north of us that were in the 100% area. Seems they could actually see the stars and even some solar flares during that time, so sounds like it may have been worth the 45 minute drive up north, but again was still impressed.

I think the one thing that stood out to me was the sound of nature. All the locust starting chirping like it was dusk, even saw some lightning bugs come out for a few minutes.

I caught my shop yard light coming on and a bunch of pics of the eclipse coming through the trees.
2017-08-21 13.06.18.jpg 2017-08-21 13.06.23.jpg 2017-08-21 13.06.30.jpg 2017-08-21 13.07.40.jpg 2017-08-21 13.10.58.jpg

For the grandson, I was concerned about light getting around the gaps over his nose, so I ended up 3d printing a mask, cutting out the lenses from a pair of solar glasses, and hot gluing and taping them in with black tape. I think he liked them, matched his cape pretty well, and the daughter said he did really well with them.
2017-08-20 23.30.52.jpg 2017-08-20 23.30.58.jpg 2017-08-20 23.31.06.jpg 2017-08-21 08.04.39-1.jpg

thanx chuck, great shots.
I went over to elens school around 2:30, one of the staff had purchased a couple of dozen pairs of cardboard eclipse glasses, so we watched for a bit, she served sunchips and sunflower seeds.

I went for a walk after that and looked up every 10 minutes or so. Never got dark, 77% here, or something like that....just cool thing to watch.

We drove down to a malt farm in central Oregon and camped out there. The 100% totality is definitely a bigger deal than even 99%. I'm not sure how much further I'd personally go but it was definitely pretty cool to see. You could really see the solar Corona and the flow of the returning sun racing down the side of a 10,000+' mountain was also pretty neat.

Didn't take much for pictures because I didn't really setup for it. Mostly just enjoyed them moment. Besides a lot of people were talking cool pictures I could enjoy later ;)

Some really good ones here if it's not still being loved to death.
http://thatoregonlife.com/2017/08/best-solar-eclipse-photos-oregon/

Gee, Leo. Where you work sounds kinda like the high security areas like NIS Photo Interpretation and so on that I've been in. You'll have to guess where it is. Ain't gonna tell ya. As far as the eclipse goes, I took a nap with the dogs.