Cordless drill throwing sparks

My old dewalt cordless is still going strong. I'm actually surprised the batteries are still holding up. At this point the keyless chuck is getting a little wonky. Just waiting for it to kind of die so I can get a new one.

My old dewalt cordless is still going strong. I'm actually surprised the batteries are still holding up. At this point the keyless chuck is getting a little wonky. Just waiting for it to kind of die so I can get a new one.

You are lucky. Several years ago I bought a DeWalt thinking I was getting a quality product. No way. It's a 14.4 but never had impressive power. The batteries fuzzed out soon and cost almost as much as a new drill to replace. I'm very dissapointed. I have corded drills I inherited that are older than I am still going strong. This is my third set of cordless drills/tools that have proven to be bummers. :(

Sparks now, but when you let the smoke out it's all over.

If you're in the market, Milwaukee's 18v "Fuel" is a great (brushless) drill. CPO has some good buys on both new and refurbished.

That said, I'm finding that I use my little 12v (10.8 actual) compact drill much more than the bigger one. Unless you're doing a lot of heavy work, the compact drill (cheaper, too!) might be what you really need/want.

I have a little milwaukee set, a drill and an impact driver and I find that 90% of the time I reach for one of those 2 before I grab one of the bigger old ones.

I could actually see just dumping my dewalt and getting another one of the smaller drills, as sometimes it's nice to have one with a drill bit and the other with a driver in it.

Ordered a set of brushes today, $13.69 total from eReplacement. I've actually been buying more Hitachi cordless tools than any, the dewalt just happen to be the one I owned prior and is a 1/2" chuck. Hopefully this does the trick.

Nice fix, Darren. You miss out on the thrill of buying a new drill, but enjoy the satisfaction keeping the old one going for a few more years on the cheap.:thumb::thumb: