2017 quilt racks

Dan Noren

Staff member
in an effort to use up the odds and ends, i did a quick design for a quilt rack. there will be 2 of them built (only have to use one of the big boards for the few that i didn't get from odds and ends), for sale at the craft shows. they will be finished the same as the wine bottle holders, the 50/50 mix of minwax provincial, and dark walnut. the top cross part, in the sides, will have 3 mackintosh roses engraved in them, for a bit more visual interest.

Attachments

• 001 quilt rack design.JPG
    001 quilt rack design.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 48
I want to make a couple or three of those. My wife and her church ladies make quilts for cancer patients, and I thought I would either sell a couple and donate the money to the church, or just put them at the disposal of the quilting team. The design I am contemplating is very similar.

I might alter the pieces a drop. but Id use the measurments.

I recently saw an old wooden crib at a garage sale.

probably from the 50s or 60s, with wooden balusters. I was going to use the balusters to make a quilt rack, but when I went back, the crib was gone.

Last edited:
got the available parts ripped to width today, and the 2 big boards you see at the bottom of the pic, are the ones the unavailable parts will come from. sounds like a good cause roger, if you want a copy, drop me your email.

Attachments

• 002 available parts ripped.JPG
    002 available parts ripped.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 15
Very nice Dan, I made a couple of similar ones a few years back. used dowels/screws for the stretchers. I left the stretchers between the ends unglued and mailed it to my grandmother, which my uncle finished assembling for her. Size wise and skill needed to assemble would make a good product to sell on-line for those that don't mind doing a little assembly (8 screws in my case).

got a bit more done today. cut everything to length, and then the planing began. let me tell you, after a couple of hours, the bloom is off the rose as far as planing is concerned. after everything was planed to thickness, cut the spindles to square.

Attachments

• 003 all parts cut to length.JPG
    003 all parts cut to length.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 004 ready for planing.JPG
    004 ready for planing.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 005 after planing.JPG
    005 after planing.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 006 spindles cut to square.JPG
    006 spindles cut to square.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 8
while getting other things done, went ahead and ran the mackintosh roses. did a test first, found i preferred the shallower cut. then did a quick test with the stain. with that done, did the production run.

Attachments

• 012 production roses done.JPG
    012 production roses done.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 011 first production roses done.JPG
    011 first production roses done.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 010 stain test.JPG
    010 stain test.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 009 finish of test.JPG
    009 finish of test.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 008 going for a deeper cut.JPG
    008 going for a deeper cut.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 007 test cut of mackintosh roses.JPG
    007 test cut of mackintosh roses.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 13
got moving on this one. marked the locations of all of the mortises, and cut them. then cut all of the tenons on everything. finishing up with a sort of test setup.

Attachments

• 019 quick test setup.JPG
    019 quick test setup.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 11
  • 018 hanger and stretcher tenons cut.JPG
    018 hanger and stretcher tenons cut.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 017 spindle tenons cut.JPG
    017 spindle tenons cut.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 016 top and bottom part mortises cut.JPG
    016 top and bottom part mortises cut.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 015 leg mortises cut.JPG
    015 leg mortises cut.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 014 leg mortises marked off.JPG
    014 leg mortises marked off.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 9
My wife is a quilter and I have made a few racks for her. One thing that pops out after a quilt has been hanging on them for a while (6 months to a few years) is that the cross pieces can damage the quilt. The cross pieces need to have a gentle arc and wider is better if possible to prevent damage (fiber compression). Wife hangs a lot of quilts on the wall with a lop attached to the back for the hanging rod to pass through. Just thought that I would pass that along.

i was thinking about that when i was putting the design together. sharp edges would damage the fabric, and the fill, so i am doing a pretty good round over of the top edges of the hangers.

got some good stuff done today. cleaned out all of the mortises, and did a test setup. it wasn't until after i took the pic, that i saw that the legs were upside down. tomorrow, its round over the top edges of the hangers, and cut all of the underside arches.

Attachments

• 023 detail of top roses and corbels.JPG
    023 detail of top roses and corbels.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 022 test setup of most of the parts.JPG
    022 test setup of most of the parts.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 021 test setup of spindles.JPG
    021 test setup of spindles.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 020 test setup of legs and hanger.JPG
    020 test setup of legs and hanger.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 5
got a bit more done today. rounded off the tops, and cut the arches on all of the hangers. sanded, and stained all of the spindles. i'm planning on finishing all of the parts before assembly, to keep the mess and problems down.

Attachments

• 024 all hanger tops rounded off.JPG
    024 all hanger tops rounded off.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 025 all hanger arches cut and sanded.JPG
    025 all hanger arches cut and sanded.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 026 all spindles sande.JPG
    026 all spindles sande.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 027 spindles stained.JPG
    027 spindles stained.JPG