Hitachi 12" Slider CMS

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I went to the freight depot yesterday and picked up my new CMS (https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-c12r...d-miter-saw-w-laser-marker-reconditioned.html - A Reconditioned version). I caught it on sale for $209, but then had to pay freight of $85. Still cheaper than anywhere else by about $90 and I've had very good luck with the reconditioned tools from Big Sky.

It came strapped to a small pallet and box was in good condition overall. It came well packed.

2017-08-22 13.14.42.jpg

I was kinda surprised just how well packed.
2017-08-22 13.18.10.jpg

I still need to build it's new home (maybe this weekend), so it will sit on the work bench for now.
2017-08-22 13.18.04.jpg

The slider is fixed length for the rear, so don't have to work about making the bench extra deep to accommodate it. There is also a laser on it, which is adjustable, but has it's own power switch here on the side.
2017-08-22 20.56.23.jpg

Nice saw. If it's anything at all like my old CF8B (8½") slider, it'll be dead nuts accurate right out of the box, and stay that way forever. I had mine for over 20 years, moved it cross-country twice, and never had to recalibrate it.

Looks like a nice tool. Should serve you well. My CMS was $69.00 from Northern Tool. It has served me well except the blade was the pits and I replaced that with a good one. I've had a couple tools with those laser guides on them. Handy to have but they are super cheapo add ons and don't last, at least, mine haven't. When I replaced the blade part of the safety cover mechanism, which had to come off, contained almost microscopic sized detent balls and springs. Those went "bing" and flew off into never-never land. So, I now operate the saw with no guard :eek: but am super careful about keeping my hands away, which I always did anyways. Right now I have reason to consider an upgrade.

Nice saw.
My Hitachi SCMS is about 15 years old. It's got some high mileage on it, but still works beautifully and accurately. This summer i replaced all of the ball bearings on it (several were worn out), and for less than $60 it runs like new again. It's a solid, well engineered and made tool. Hope you like it because you'll probably have it for a very, very long time.