Total ecllipse of the cloud...

Roger Tulk

We went all the way to St. Louis to see the eclipse, and did some touristy stuff, which exhausted me as I'm still not in shape to walk more than a couple of kilometres. Anyway, the hotel we were at had an eclipse party on the roof. The sky was clear as totality drew nearer, and we saw the moon crossing the sun more and more. At about 80% coverage, the temperature dropped by about 8ºC, from about 35º, which was too hot for two old Canadians. Just as totality arrived, so did a largish cumulous cloud. It was thin enough and broken up enough that sometimes we could see the progress of the eclipse through the thin cloud, without the special glasses. Just before totality, I think I saw the "diamond ring" but wasn't sure. Totality only lasted about 30 seconds, and we didn't see any of the fancy effects we were supposed to see. However, I have now seen a total eclipse, and to get a better view I just have to wait until 2024, when an eclipse will go right through Niagara, and I'll be able to watch from my front porch.

We mostly saw the Gareway Arch area in the time we were in St. Louis, and did the Budweiser tour. Went up the Arch, which is something I wouldn't do again even if you put a gun to my head, and took the riverboat cruise. Of the several such cruises I've done in London, Paris, Norfolk, Chicago and Vancouver, among others, it was the least inspiring. I would like to go back and maybe get to hear some blues and jazz, and learn a little more about the city. Two days isn't really enough.

I remember taking the tour of the Budweiser plant one morning before flying back to LA. I could smell the hops for the rest of the day and into the evening because that aroma was so deeply embedded in my sinuses.

What did you not like about going up in the arch?

Bummer, but clouds were an issue for many here too. I remember doing the arch back when my kids were younger, those little elevators weren't all that comfortable and it was hot up there. For me it's one of those things I've done and don't need to do again.

I remember taking the tour of the Budweiser plant one morning before flying back to LA. I could smell the hops for the rest of the day and into the evening because that aroma was so deeply embedded in my sinuses.

What did you not like about going up in the arch?

I hate the smell of a Budweiser plant... my office in Houston was across an open lot from the local Bud plant, we smelled that stuff ALL DAY LONG... one of my routes in to the office was along side the plant. Never did try to do a tour, don't know if the Houston plant even did tours....
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's certainly not Bud or any of their products.