Wood Expo

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
The local lumber/woodworking/Rockler store (Johnson's Workbench) is having their annual expo on September 8 & 9. Normally I'd let this pass but they are having a few free classes that look interesting and several are being taught by Scott Phillips from the PBS show "The American Woodshop". He'll be there all day Saturday the 9th.

If nothing else comes up I might make the pilgrimage just to see whats going on and shake hands with a TV star. :D Might make a cool selfie to hang in my shop next to my Norm Abram poster. :rofl:

Anyone else interested? Can't guaranty that it will be worth the trip, but it could be a fun outing.
AWS.ScottPhillips.jpg

I had an interesting and informative day at the wood expo. Some new products to take a look at, and some good deals if you were looking to spend a lot of money on something, but I enjoyed the workshops especially those given by Scott Phillips. I had the opportunity to meet with him One on one for a few minutes at the end of the day. A delightful person and quite knowledgeable.
d657622a5d82bd45b3741fda00efd775.jpg

It was interesting to learn that he does not take tools from any of his sponsors. He buys and owns and maintains all of the tools in his shop.

Last edited:
Very cool, Rennie. :thumb: I've not seen his show, but I have a rack full of Scott's signature parallel clamps by Gros Stabil.