Perfectly balanced top

Interesting. The little 3 part top at the end with the jumping out "man"? is worth waiting for :thumb:

I have a similar issue with balancing drop spindles for spinning wool, but my method is a bit different. Basically I lay the spindle on its side between two rods, let it rotate (or give it a small push) and mark where the high point is when it stops. If the high point is consistent over three attempts than that is the "light" side and I remove some material from the other side. Essentially I'm doing what is considered "static balancing" which gets you pretty close.

His method of marking the side of imbalance is quite interesting and would be much more accurate as he is doing "dynamic balancing" and also accounts for smaller variations in imbalance.

The biggest problem I end up having though is not generally balance, but getting perfectly straight shafts for the centre of the spindle. Mostly but not entirely solved by splitting them out then turning to size.

From a "close enough" perspective I think I'll continue with my method as I can't see spinning wool on the edge of a sword any time soon ;)

I could see the same idea being useful in other contexts though.

A better explanation of static and dynamic balancing differences in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGcBUzxcvQ