Large Pecan Centerpiece Bowl

Dave Hoskins

This bowl is the last piece from the old pecan stash. All pecan pieces after this will be from the latest haul. Holds 1 1/8 gallons of water. Wood was sealed as per my usual with walnut oil. I thought I heard this bowl whispering to me that it wanted to be finished with wax. So I gave it three coats of a walnut oil based wax. One thing nice about using the wax is you can still feel the grains of the wood. I burned a couple of decorative lines below the rim. Speaking of the rim I thought it was a nice idea to have it as the bowl does weigh 4 1/2 pounds. There is also a line in the foot. The bowl is 13 1/4" in diameter, 4 1/2" high and has a depth of 3 3/4". I usually don't turn bowls quite this big as most folks don't have a place for them so they don't sell too quickly. But, as it was the last piece of pecan from the old pile I just went where the wood went. I think it was about a year ago I turned one similar but with no defined rim. Hopes you likes it. :wave:

Looks good, Dave. :thumb: I hear ya on the big bowls not selling. I have a couple in the 20" range, and there are not many people who have room to display (or store) something that big.

Very nice Dave. Have some very big plates dad turned years age and as you say no place to show no matter how nice they are.
Still you'll find a home for this good looking piece of art.
David

Thanks, guys. Yeah I normally don't turn them over 12". The last one I turned of this size the customer sent me a photo of it. They attached some kind of hanger and it hangs over their mantle. Interesting usage to say the least. I figger this one will go but it will take a while. But, all I have is time. :D