Sawdust maker from the UK

Bob Graham

Hi all, I've been lurking here for about 12 months or so and thought I'd finally say hello. :wave:

A skilled woodworker, I am not but I like to make sawdust and now shavings. My first lathe arrived yesterday and this morning I stuck a lump of wood between centres and proceeded to mutilate it. I've never picked up a gouge before so it's time to learn and already the forum has answered a query about turning after a quick search so I'm glad that I'm not the only one having issues.

I'm not much good with the older hand tools and have immense respect for anyone that can release beautiful things from wood with those tools. I do have a fairly well equipped workshop albeit mostly low to middle priced powered equipment and I do what I can with what I have.

I live in Wiltshire, about 30 miles North of Stonehenge but I am a proud Cornishman by birth and lineage. I moved to Wiltshire in the summer of 2006.

Thanks for reading.

Good to meet you, Bob. :wave: Don't hesitate to ask questions...we have lots of answers and most of them are even correct. :D

Hello Bob and welcome, since you are in the uk you may want to check out the Organ Build thread on this site. Just type in organ build in the search box in the upper right hand conner.

Nice to have another Brit on board! I'm from Lancashire, about 60 years ago, but hey, my Dad was from Wiltshire.

I find turning to be the most fun you can have with a piece of wood. The most important thing to me is to keep those tools razor sharp. I didn't understand this the first time I had a lathe, and I innocently tried to turn a sort of spindle shape. It looked like it had been chewed by the dog. Bring on your questions!

Even though it's been years since you've been on a forum, you'll likely notice we're a bit different around here. For starters, we're all stunningly handsome. And remarkably humble, as well. :rofl:

That looks like a nice setup. :thumb: The lathe is nicer than the one I started out on, and the chuck and all the extra jaws should help cover a lot of ground.