Bathroom Vanity Update

Bill Arnold

Staff member
About five years ago, we hired a local contractor to do a major remodel of our master bathroom. The only thing we didn't have them address is the cabinet and mirror. I had some thoughts about just framing the big builder's mirror but nothing seemed right about that. A couple months ago, we finally decided to take care of this final step by taking out the big mirror and updating the entire look of the vanity.

The first step - taking down the 72" by 40" builder's mirror - got real interesting. I researched how others had removed such a mirror and it sounded "not too bad". Yeah . . . right!!! Let's say that a hammer and pry bar were the only things that worked - mirror went away in pieces!

Here's what we had to start with:

z.MbrVanity_was.jpg

The biggest problem we had to deal with was bowed drywall behind the mirror. There was about at least a 1/4" dip in the middle of the bottom area of the old mirror that tapered to flush at the top. The drywall folks should have addressed that when the wall was installed by placing shims on the studs, but the didn't. Apparently, when the big mirror was installed, they put a screw into a stud in the middle of the dip so the mirror would register against the wall correctly. As it turned out, that screw gave me a reference for the filler mud I used to flatten the wall. We planned to put beadboard paneling on the wall, but I still wanted the wall flat for starters. After filling, sanding and priming, the wall was ready for the rest of the process.

We bought two 4' x 8' sheets of beadboard panel. I wanted to cover the 61" vertical space with no joints. I cut one piece of a panel for the center area and two narrow pieces to finish the 72" width. We continued with oil-rubbed bronze for the accents of the mirrors and lights. I finished the overall area by installing some 1.25" wide by 0.25" thick pvc strips. Yep, I said pvc - just the right size and no worries about moisture.

It's taking a bit to adjust to the new look, but LOML is very happy, so that makes me happy - a little more tired, but happy!

z.MbrVanity_is.jpg

Next stop? Our guest bath room also has a big builder's mirror!!! :rolleyes:

Looks good Bill. We've been removing them and replacing with oval/round mirrors ourselves. I have one in our bedroom that worked out to just do a frame around it. We've also got a bedroom that has a full wall of mirrors, apparently the previous owner's work-out room. Just need to find a home for them otherwise they end up stacked up in the back of my shop (which is where two others currently are).