Irma

Robert Rose

Well I knew it was bound to happen one day, after 40 years it looks like my luck may have run out. Irma is a couple of days out but the track is looking real bad for us. Here is hoping for a southerly pass of the Keys.That puts us on the good side (if you cam call any side of a hurricane the "good" side). I have been near a lot of storms (Camille, Mitch (torn most of my roof shingles off), Andrew (lot of tree damage, no elec. for 2 weeks, no water for a week). Here's hoping for the best - we will be head out of here by Thursday morning if thing go the wrong way.

Robert, sure hoping for the best for you. Let us all know how things go and if you need any thing afterward. Get yourself and family to safety first. We'll be thinking of you and praying for a good outcome for you.

Good luck, Robert! You never know what these things will do. We lived in Bradenton, FL for 8.5 years and experienced several storms but no direct hit. Charlie was headed straight for our development - Lakewood Ranch. When it was less than a half day away, it suddenly took a right turn into Port Charlotte. Meteorologists have never been able to determine exactly what caused the abrupt turn. Neighbors who evacuated our neighborhood to the other side of the state ended up being almost directly in Charlie's path!!! By staying home, we had some wind and rain but nothing too serious. Like I said, you never know.

Robert be safe down there. I just talked to my brother who after 4 days of refinishing a boat down there, it's not done yet, has returned to Sarasota to tie up the boats he has to take care of there. Rodney doesn't say much about storms but he said this one's going to be a good one. Hope you guys are being safe.

Looks like Irma is going to be a nasty one. Be careful Robert, and any other Family members down that way. :eek:

Where do hurricanes and alligators go???? Anywhere they want!!!

I am on the Space Coast. It sure looks like some parts or maybe all of Florida will be hit but let's all hope it misses us and turns out to sea or goes out into the Gulf.

If each of our Florida members sends me $20 I'll put up my storm shutters. That should send it out to sea.

I'll probably put them up tomorrow anyway.

Look on the bright side of things, if there is one. Irma may be a Cat 5 hurricane, but at least it ain't a F5 tornado. The hurricanes you have a fair amount of warnings. Days even. Tornadoes you usually at best have minutes.

My sister lives in south Florida. She called me today and asked if they could stay at my house, here in New England. I said yes. They are on their way here.

That sounds like a good decision. Talked to my sister and mom who live in Tampa. They seemed determined to stay, and it looks like Irma might be skirting them to the east?

Sounds like the roads heading out of florida are packed. I hope everyone on the roads can get the heck out of there.

OK which one of you did NOT tell Irma that I put up my storm shutters??? Looks like Irma will be hitting the Space Coast.

I am on the coast about 20 miles south of the Space Center.

We plan to stick around. I have been told all main roads out of Florida are packed and gas is in short supply.

Wish us luck.

Bobbie and I stopped by Lowe's this morning to pick up a special order mirror and a couple other things. They have a truckload of generators stacked in several areas. A lot of people are driving here from Florida for generators because their stores don't have any.

Melbourne Florida here - Just South of Space Center on the coast.

We did fine. Just got internet service back.

Power and water off for awhile but back on now.

Many still without power. These homes get hot real quick without power. Some years ago we went over a week with no power. Inside house got up to over 90.

We had no real damage but many trees and roofs in area damaged.

We had 70-90 mph winds with some periods of a little over 100. Somewhere around 10-15 inches of rain. While we still had tv weather radar showed many small tornadoes formed on the northeast side of the storm. Looks to me like those unlucky enough to be in there path was where the real damage occurred.

Area is still far from normal. 80% of street lights not working making traffic a mess. Many areas still without power.

5 deaths in Central Florida from Generator induced CO. One house looked like the had a generator inside.

Well I got back home late Tuesday and it was better than I could hope. Most of the trees are torn apart, tons of branches and no leaves. Front porch screen and frame torn out but the worst was the solar water panel on the roof was wrecked and the pipes going to it were broken off at the roof. Thank goodness I turned off the water before I left or the flooding form broken pipes would have drenched the in side of the house. All in all I think we will survive. Friends in Lower Keys not so lucky. One had his home flooded (Marathon), other friends house was torn from it's pilings (Big Pine Key) total lost. So I didn't have anything to complain about. Electricity and water are back on and clean up beginning. I just wish for a little cloud cover - bright blue skies and blazing sun 95 in the shade. Time to get up an continue picking up.