front door wraparound

allen levine

I had new doors installed in my home.
could not find a wraparound in brown for a decent price, so I decided to make one using Spanish cedar, mahogany way too expensive, and I have bits and pieces and a few boards of Spanish cedar sitting around.

Ill use brass numbers, this is an old one, just shown for color/contrast, couple of columns, the head piece(finally figured out how to make good crown molding joints) and the base at bottom of each column.

3-4 coats of sikkens, but it isn't called sikkens anymore, same product, new company. this is second coat applied today.

I have wood shakes on the front of my home, very old, small house, vinyl siding on other three sides.(my house had the shingles ripped off by mistake with the previous owner. He came home from work and found most of his home except the front had all the shingles ripped off. Next day when the contractor showed up, he had his attorney on the phone. What happened? Address was incorrect on order, they left out a digit, and I guess the crew just arrived and started ripping. the contractor agreed to siding on the 3 ripped sides at his cost, and they worked out a deal for new windows. I verified the story with a neighbor of mine, she was the secretary of the attorney the homeowner contacted)turns out, the home that was supposed to be sided, is next street and now is owned by someone who works in same school district as my wife. and her home still has the exact same siding as us. Neither of us upgraded over the past 30 years.(but she purchased the home withtin the last 10 years) Only windows.
anyway, just keeping busy.

Attachments

• wraparound 005.jpg
    wraparound 005.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 48
  • wraparound 006.jpg
    wraparound 006.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 41
  • wraparound 003.jpg
    wraparound 003.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 44
Looks nice Allen.

We've got new doors on our list. Both contractors quotes came back at about $6.5k for 9 interior doors & 3 bifolds, which pretty much shocked me, but never have paid someone to do that kind of work before. I still won't be, as I have all the hinge templates, jigs, and such to do it myself. Heck, I told my wife if they are getting that kind of money for doors, I may just go into business doing that for a living.

Now adding the steel beam in my loft area to fix its sag, they can have that job.

Very nice, Allen. It appears you've got that crown molding process dialed in, too. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished results. :thumb:

I appreciate everyone being nice with the kind comments.
Im never going to win any ribbons for my work, I like to consider my work sufficient, sturdy, usable.

finished the shutters for the front casement window this afternoon. Once the glue is dry, Ill do some sanding, and start the sikkens application.I cheated just a bit, or maybe I didn't? I needed 8 and 3/8 inch wide raised panels, but instead of gluing up smaller pieces, I had some 9 and a half inch wide boards, so I just cut it to size and used it. I wouldn't do it if it was for doors, afraid of warping, but for outside, its going to be secured to building.

on to the mailbox.

Attachments

• shutters 004.jpg
    shutters 004.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 17